My truck is frozen; advice?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Kshaw0960, Feb 4, 2023.

1. Kenworth6969

Kenworth6969 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2020
    Send the the troops of these to surround the truck!

Screenshot_20230204-115524_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    Don't point a bullet heater at a Detroit oil pan. Seen 2 brand new trucks burn that way. Not even put in service yet.

Magoo1968, cke, Rideandrepair and 5 others Thank this.
  4. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    It's not the lack of heat in the engine that is gonna be the problem. At -25 your fuel is gonna be gelled unless you treated it way more than what the bottle said. I'd call around and see if anyone has any #1 fuel and top off the tanks if possible

Oxbow and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  5. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    What we used to do was put a piece of plywood along each side.
    Fire up some charcoal in a metal garbage can lid or oil change pan.
    When it flames out put under oil pan and wait for the heat to do it's thing.
    Cheap and effective.

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Yep. You gotta have that sock on there. Lets the air cool to a manageable temperature.

Doesn't need to be this big though. Frost_fighter_Indirect_Heater_ducting_use.jpg

Back when we'd get Japanese import machines picked up at the port and then immediately sent straight up to the north we'd set one sock on the bottom of the tank and one under the engine. That Japanese fuel would turn to butter at not much below freezing. After an hour or so they'd fire right up and drive off the lowbed.

cke, Rideandrepair, beastr123 and 3 others Thank this.
  7. sbaumann14

sbaumann14 Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Rhinelander, WI
    Aluminum disposable turkey roasting pan. 4 of em. Fill with charcoal. One under each fuel tank, 2 under the hood (BUT NOT uNDER THE OIL PAN!!!) If possible wrap tarp along sides and around nose to keep the wind out. Add charcoal as needed to keep it going for at least 3-4 hours.
    But at temps below zero ur kinda screwed

8. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    Like others said your best bet is to get it towed into a shop and have it thaw out. Next time once it hits 0 or below the truck stays on. And put anti gel even if you plan on still keeping it on cause if it gets cold enough it’ll gel up even with the truck on.

Rideandrepair and Numb Thank this.
  9. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    As suggested if your not near any outlets you'll have no choice but to get it towed somewhere, what I'd try is if you can get a hold of those large air driers they use to dry out wet carpets, they have huge heating fans, put 2 of them around the front of your truck motor that will warm it up very quickly, and maybe a third near your fuel tank this will help thaw out any gelled up diesel fuel.

10. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    What engine are we looking at?

I know, a W900, right?

Have you looked at your fuel filter and in the tanks to see if they’re gelled?

What exactly do you mean, by this?:
    “Everything is frozen solid it feels like.”

Rideandrepair and brian991219 Thank this.
  11. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    It’s a 379 with a detroit series 60. The oil pan on these things is plastic and my fuel tanks are painted so really don’t want to put coals under them lol. Anyway truck started up at 22 degrees outside so I’m glad I put enough anti gel in the tanks. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. So I was out 2 hotel nights and there is no freight until Monday anyway.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.