My Weight being a problem?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Christensen, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    An ex boyfriend of mine was told he had to lose 30 pounds before Prime would hire him. This was in December 2008, not long after I started hauling Prime wagons. He is 6'2" and was was 315# at the time. The recruiter wouldn't even talk to him unless he dropped those pounds.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I think that we could see carriers use BMI or weight as a factor when they look at hiring drivers. Obese drivers usually have more health problems and could impact a companies insurance premiums. Fat people have a higher incidence of diabetes, high blood pressure, heart problems and a number of other health issues. They are also more likely to be out from work due to illness. People should take responsibility for their weight and health. We can control what goes into our mouth. If you have a weight problem, do a little research on how to eat more healthy. It can be more of a challenge to eat right in this business, but isn't impossible. It is more a matter of eating right and perhaps eating more out of the truck. Besides eating better you can save a lot of money on food expense.

4. mgfg

mgfg Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2010
    G/MAN, while agree whole heartedly with the majority of what you posted I have to disagree with your final comment. Eating healthy foods is more expensive than non-healthy foods. Look @ the cost of a simple salad vs the cost of a Whopper or a Big-Mac.

We are all responsable for what we put in our face. Sometimes we just get lazy.

5. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    You can eat healthy food out of your truck for less than eating non healthy food in some of these truck stops. At one time I used to eat a couple meals a day out of the truck. I would sometimes eat cold cereal for breakfast and a sandwich for either lunch or dinner. Both meals would usually cost about $2-3 dollars. If you eat both out you could easily spend ten times that amount.

Healthy foods can be a bit pricey. But, you need to check the true cost of eating healthy versus the long term health benefits. I like to have fresh fruit. When I can, I buy it from a local produce stand or try to find one as I travel around. Buying meat in a local grocery is much less expensive than buying a sandwich at Subway or burger from McDonald's.

6. Eaton18

Eaton18 Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2011
    Waverly, KS
    I think 90% of controlling and losing weight is mental. Since I've been reading on how companies may be using BMI, as a way to not hire, I decided I must do something. I'm 5'8" and thankfully have only maxed at 220#.

I very slowly starting around June, began working on this. Then the last week of August, weighting about 210# got serious. I'm walking 2 miles a day, doing other exercises, but my eating didn't improve until this last week. For the first time in at least 15 yrs I'm under 200#, not by much though. But I'm seeing that it can be done. By the time I go to an orientation, I want to be down to 180#.

Get your mindset and do not stay from it. I have a constant mental picture of what I want to see by the end of the year or first of next year. I focus on that, and keep driving towards it.

Injun and 7122894003481 Thank this.
  7. ThePaleRider

ThePaleRider Bobtail Member

Sep 18, 2011
    gj colorado
    you are a 6'0 man @ 135? wow that is tiny

8. Want2BTrucking

Want2BTrucking Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2011
    At 5'10 all you need to do is eat 2000 calories a day, that is more then enough to be healthy and youll drop the weight, without exercise. Your biggest problem is the calories you consume. When you start counting youll see how easy it is to go overboard

9. hepster56

hepster56 Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2011
    erlanger ky
    yea im 6ft 4 and 350 but a lot of muscle i used to b 185 till i started to lift weights and take all that protien food. but i had a sliding accendent in 02 and had to quit working out i tore off my rotator cuff and my shoulder had to b rebuilt and i cant lift any free weights no more but i can do cables and i have 90% percent movement now.I STILL DRIVE AT 350 I HAVE LOST ABOUT 25 POUNDS BY NOT EATING FAST FOOD AND SWEETS AND POP.

10. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    I'm not surprised Prime doesn't . It has nothing to do with health . That may be 100 lbs. or more less freight they may be able to load and also cut their mpg by .00001 mpg

Injun, 123456 and old-school Thank this.
  11. 1nonly

1nonly tease-y-ness

Jul 2, 2008
    The burning sands of the SW
    I am with G/MAN on this one. I would say from simple observation that most overweight folks are not only eating the wrong foods, they are eating too much food. Portion sizes are out of control. And it's undeniable that eating less food costs less money.

The salad is not the only healthy option. A lot of fast food joints are now offering wraps. Get one with grilled chicken. That's cheaper than the Big Mac. Or get the grilled chicken sandwich minus the mayo. Similar price to the Big Mac ( I think)

And quit buying drinks. Water is free, and it keeps you clean. No one would ever take a shower of Mountain Dew, yet they shower themselves inside with it and think nothing of it. Yick! I don't even like to think of all that sticky nasty sugar crap coating my insides......

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.