my x-mas gift from Barr Nunn! this job stinks

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by truckerdave1970, Dec 20, 2008.

1. panhandlepat

panhandlepat Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2007
    10-4! i dont see what they can say. stopping in jersey is not an option. especially with all that snow. no shoulder on hwy or ramps

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckerdave1970

truckerdave1970 On Probation

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    Here is what Barr Nunn has decided:
    1. 6 months probation. I can not log anything illegal at all. everything must match.(tolls, qualcomm msg, fuel...) thus making it certain I will lose $. If I am found illegal by the company, immediate termination
    2. loss of $600 bonus
    3. loss of my next 1/2 cent raise. I was due to be given this next week. This amounts to a loss of $600-$800 over the next year.
    4. and the thing that pisses me off the most, 48 hr non-paid shutdown in Grand Rapids, MI. 6 hrs from home.
    I am ok with all this except the timing of the shutdown. As i states in ny 1st post, I should been shut as soon as the incident happened. But Barr Nunn needed me to deliver the load i was on and then they had no one else to p/u and the deliver the next load, so they decided to ignore their policy again and let me drive all weekend from Memphis to Grand Rapids b/c they needed me. now all I am wanting is for the company to suspend this 48 hr shutdown for anothe 6 hrs till I get home. they said no. If I dont like it, I can quit. According to the safety #####, I will not be allowed to drive the truck anywhere, even to a terminal to turn it in. If I quit, I am to vacate the truck where it sits and be charged with all the recovery fees and a truck abandonment reported on my DAC. Thus ending my carreer as a driver. If i drive it anywhere in the next 48 hrs, they will report to the police that I am driving it w/o permission, and I could be arressted!!! After many phone calls to anyone in the company who would listen (BTW I was not allowed to speak to anyone higher up than the safety #####), in spite of the fact that I will be stuck here till Dec. 24th and maybe even later since freight is so crappy, I got nowhere. DO NOT WORK FOR BARR NUNN!!! THEY ARE HEARTLESS,THEY THINK THEIR DRIVERS ARE ALL LIARS, CHEATS,And THEIVES. THEY WILL TREAT YOU DISRESPECT AND CONTEMPT AT ALL TIMES. I CANT SAY WHAT I REALLY WANT TO B/C IT IS EXTREMELY PROFANE. I AM DONE AT BARR NUNN!!! So if any1 knows of a decent company thats willing to take a 15 year veteren with an excellent driving record and will treat me better than a flat trialer tire, let me know. thx for letting me rant!

4. davan2004

davan2004 Light Load Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Warren, MI

hmmm sounds quite familiar.

5. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    This is EXACTLY the reason I will NEVER work for a large corporation EVER again. As far as they are concerned, there are no extenuating circumstances. A large company does not care who you are, nor do they care if you ever get home—much less home for Christmas.

In your case, the punishment does not fit the crime—they are trying to make you quit because of the economy.

I know every ounce of you is screaming, "Screw these bungholes... I quit!"—but don't do it—not until you have another job to go to. Jobs are way too hard to come by right now. Bide your time and do what they want... for now. Use every spare minute to find yourself a job at a small place.

And let this be a lesson to everyone... ALWAYS keep enough money to get yourself home, from wherever you may be, if you need to.

davan2004, Faber and Lonesome Thank this.
  6. truckerdave1970

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    I am going to put up with this garbage until I find another job. I wish I was in the position to screw these people over they way I got screwd though!!! I've already filled out 2 phone applications this morning and I wont stop applying till I find a job better than this place. shouldnt be too hard!

7. KGB0911

KGB0911 Light Load Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Waterloo, Iowa
    oh, here is another rule i heard. except for fueling or scales, if it dont take longer than 8 minutes, u dont have to log it. You still might have to flag it, say when you hook...etc. But if i am sitting at a shipper, waiting for a dock to open...then finally it does, and i get her backed in in a couple minutes, i aint logging it. Besides, when i arrive at shipper, i go right to line 4 for 15 minutes, then up to line 1 or 2. i only give them 15 minutes of 'work'...period. yeah that is illegal, BUT i'm not fudging whole hours of time just to make my 12 hours of driving fit into 11.

8. Faber

Faber Medium Load Member

Oct 11, 2008
    im with the gettn' screwed cause of the economy and trying to make you quit....
    -if you really want to quit now, i'd wait untill I was legal to drive, and if it's not to far....get that thing back to their terminal.
    I highly doubt a 'theft' charge for trying to return the truck and protect you dac from an abandonment is gonna stick.
    But an abandonment on your dac would be easy for them to do.

9. truckerdave1970

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    well, the worst thing Barr Nunn could have done was give me time to do something about my situation, so yesterday I talked to several other companies and as of 9 am today, I have offers to start with 2 different companies. now I just have to decide who would be better for me and my family,Schnieder or Knight Refrigerated? Any 1 have any info on Knight? I already know Schneider as I used to work for them. I HOPE BARR NUNN GOES BANKRUPT AND OUT OF BUSINESS!!! ANY COMPANY THAT CHOOSES TO TREAT THE DRIVERS SO POORLY DESERVES TO JUST GO AWAY.

10. MGASSEL

MGASSEL Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Co
    You would be better to go with sni I have heard about poor freight with knight sitting days etc.

11. DirtyDawgJake

DirtyDawgJake Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2008
    In the granny lane
    That sounds like some harsh punishment but at least you still have a job in this economy. A lot of companies may have seen an opportunity to can you. On another note I've had to run over my 14 once awhile back and never heard anything from it. I logged it and said too dangerous to park on shoulder have to get to nearest truckstop 10 mi. away for safety reasons, was sleeting and raining heavily and lots of traffic. Never try to hide anything, that shows guilt right from the start, and they will know anyways if you have a qualcomm. Safety comes first in my book, over all dot rules and company policies. I'm willing to bet no otr driver out there runs 100% legal. Before you say that you do riddle me this. That post trip insp. you show as being off duty, that's illegal. That 15 min. you show ld'g/unld'g when it took longer, that's illegal. Sitting in your driver's seat, standing around your truck, talking about lot lizards with other driver's in the lounge while at shipper/receiver and showing line 1, that's illegal. DOT basically says that if you're not in sleeper or on 10 hr break you are on duty. One could even argue that since you're at a readiness to operate the truck (who else is going to move it if needed?) and are under capacity to be dispatched (aren't we always in that capacity?) that sleeper berth is really on duty according to dot. I simply look at it like this, if I kill somebody, god forbid, I better be able to stand in front of a judge/jury and prove that my actions did not result in their death. If you're running a comic book or multiple logs w/ a qualcomm you'll probably get away with it for awile, but when times get tough like they are now it will probably catch up with you, hopefully before you kill somebody and go to the bighouse for a long time. Also remember that the adverse conditions rule states that you may drive 2 extra hours in the 14. Once the 14 is up that's all she wrote and you must take a break, regardless of how adverse the conditions are. Anyways, Merry Christmas guys and gals, be safe over the holidays.

panhandlepat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.