N14 Celect tear down.

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by mile marker 27, Mar 3, 2024.

1. mile marker 27

mile marker 27 Road Train Member

Dec 4, 2019
    I can’t hardly imagine it wasn’t but my FIL, who was driving said it never got hot. When I showed up at the scene, there was no coolant smell, just oil, all over everything. If it’d got hot, he’s the type who’d tell me. He’d only been in the truck about an hour and I’d drove the who day before and loaded it back. Crank case pressure from fill tube, dipstick, and front seal or accessory drive seal, was evident. Truck still had 40lbs of oil pressure, on the side of the road. What surprises me as well, is how good the wrist pins still feel.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    Look don’t misunderstand I am calling you a liar I honestly believe what your saying
    I just throwing this out there About a year ago I sold a 379 with a 60 series Detroit for a friend of mine I sold it to a farmer in Northern Iowa I have worked on this 379 for the last 4 years any how about 3 weeks after I sell the truck the buyer calls me starts ripping my ### saying I F’d him because it’s losing coolant I tell him bring it back I check it out so he does . A whole mother story but I end up giving him his money back and tear it down sure enough 4 of the liner O rings were damaged come to find out after a lot of research somebody had got that motor hot roughly about 1 year or so prior and it just took that long for the problem to show up
    Could that be possible with your motor .

4. mile marker 27

Dec 4, 2019
    I drive the truck 75% of the time and I can’t recall seeing it at 210*. Not saying it never happened but I can honestly say I’ve never seen it. As a matter of fact, I’m probably guilty of running the fan while loading grain, too much. I got a tendency to manually turn it on at 195*ish. This truck is getting a new radiator too. I’m with you, it looks like those o-ring been hot multiple times before the last time. Kinda hard and cracking, in places. I preciate any and all help.

5. W923

W923 Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2022
    It’s not to uncommon for the bottom o ring to be swelled from oil and sometimes the middle one to but I would think the brittle square o ring would be from to much heat
    Never know how hot the last owner got it

6. mile marker 27

Dec 4, 2019
    When I bought the truck a few years ago, I didn’t quite like the way the rebuild looked from the outside. Lots of silicone(I hate the way that #### looks oozing out) but truck ran strong, no blow by, very little oil useage. Was told by the guy I bought it from(Pennsylvania Mennonite) that he’d only had the truck for 6 months but had bought it locally, from a guy(Chuck) who’d had the truck for years. Mennonite only bought the truck cause he was having a new built but needed something. I called Chuck and he said he loved the truck but retired. Said the engine went down on him so he built it again himself and it went down on him again shortly after. He admitted, he’d F’d up on something and built it again and had no troubles. I know diagnosis through pics is horrible but the worst thing I’ve found is those pistons. Everything else looks like it should still be running. I’m gonna drop the heads off at a machine shop, injectors at a shop.

7. mile marker 27

Dec 4, 2019
    Not ruling out, it was on my watch but do you think those o ring could been in bad shape for 4 years and prior to me owning it? I’m not an OTR guy so it’s not like I’m stacking up miles.

Vampire and Last Call Thank this.
  8. mile marker 27

Dec 4, 2019
    Would you guys feel it necessary to tear into the oil cooler? I’m gonna pull the front cover as well and do the front main seal and accessory drive seal, because of the crank case pressure.

9. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    As stupid as this may sound. Vaseline has been known to swell rubber like that. I know at one time Vaseline was an old timers go to for engine assembly lube for o-rings and things of that nature.

10. Last Call

Mar 15, 2021
    To answer your question about the cooler I would replace it your rebuilding the motor I would replace it regardless
    You know it’s easy to tell another guy what to do when it’s not your checkbook I get that. This has always been my theory I’am going to the work of a OH I don’t want a fresh motor and any type of leaks So I know it takes time and cost money but I would strip that motor down to the bare block and replace every gasket seal and Oring and built it back as close to new as I possibly can I realize that’s easier said than done but I hate rework and nothing pisses me off anymore than fire up a fresh OH and find out I got a 10.00 gasket or 1.00 Oring that is leaking cause I didn’t spend a extra 2 or 3 hrs going deeper That’s just my opinion

Last edited: Mar 5, 2024
    Vampire, IH Truck Guy, W923 and 3 others Thank this.
  11. Last Call

Mar 15, 2021
    I learned this years ago when I’am looking at a truck to buy I assume that the motor needs rebuilt I don’t care if the seller is standing there with a folder full of paper work I don’t believe them and I make my offer accordingly yeah I a lot of times don’t get the truck bought sometimes I do. But I treat every seller like they’re hiding something most times they are. But I’am not taking a chance it’s to costly to except a stranger’s word

Last edited: Mar 5, 2024
    Vampire, IH Truck Guy, W923 and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.