N14 Fuel leak

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Rideandrepair, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    1998 T 600 Cummins N14 leaking fuel from what looks like the head gasket in the middle of head on right side just above exhaust manifold steady drip seems like low pressure. Ang help or ideas appreciated

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Probably fuel line jumper in between the heads. No fuel runs through the head gasket. Orings degrade and sometimes the jumper itself cracks.

4. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    That happened to me but on a BC 1. I just changed the o-ring and solved the issue. Of course, this was back in the day.

Oldironfan and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  5. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Thanks that’s what we were told is common

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  6. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Just curious does head need to come off ? Looks like it does to me. The Driver is headed home now I’m just wondering what he’s up against Thanks for help

7. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    On my BC 1, I didn’t have to remove the head. I recommend cleaning it well before removing the crossover tube. I just removed the screw that holds them in place and pull it up with some thin long needle nose pliers. And use a magnetic driver to put the screw back in. It can be tricky, cuz there hardly any room to stick your hand in between the heads.

8. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    I’d make sure the hold down screw it tight first.

9. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    As as the others have said no need to remove the head. Remove the covers and the jake brake housing if so equipped.

I would stuff rags all around it after cleaning just to make sure the screws don't fall in anywhere.

If it were me I would replace all of the jumpers and O-rings while you are at it. Then you just replace your gaskets once and you are done.

I would also set the overhead while you're at the valves.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.