N14 miss

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by AModelCat, Apr 22, 2017.

1. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I got a buddy who came by this afternoon to unload some equipment. Had me listen to a noise in his engine. Sounds like the engine is labouring/stumbling a bit at random. Says it does it under light load conditions. Said he had all 6 injectors and the pass through connectors replaced and it made no difference. I heard it act up for several seconds at a time. Not really a miss per se, more like a change in tone to a rougher idle. Dealer told him it sounds like a head but he said they never did any testing to verify it. Very intermittent so I can't see it being a head.

Truck's an early 2003 T800 with N14. Unfortunately I have no access to computer or any diagnostic equipment at this time. Any suggestions on things a guy can check without needing access to insite?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Wiring harness especially where it clamps at the back head.
    Cam sensor can do weird things like that and never throw a code.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  4. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Do basic fuel checks too, pressure, aeration etc.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  5. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I'll definitely pass those suggestions along. I'm only down visiting for the weekend so I don't have any tools or anything to do any kind of digging.

He didn't have any complaints about it lacking power. Just sitting idling I heard it act up once or twice for a couple seconds each time. It basically just sounds like its running a bit rough, then clears up. It will do it at high idle and if he's under light throttle on the highway he mentioned. Under hard pull he says he can't feel anything out of the ordinary.

6. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Bad ground connection(s)?

Heavyd and AModelCat Thank this.
  7. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    They aren't the smoothest idling things any way.
    Look down between the heads make sure a cross over isn't leaking. Also there's a screen on top of the fuel pump,those never get cleaned.
    Sometimes the shut off solenoid will cause stuff like that when it starts getting weak.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  8. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Wouldn't a fuel issue be more prominent under full load though since that'd be when you've got the most demand for fuel? Unless he's got an issue with an injector not firing correctly at random, so the other 5 are temporarily putting out more fuel to keep it running? I've never worked on an N14 so I have no clue about anything specific on them.

My first thought was maybe it was the compressor cutting in as the noise sounds similar to a compressor working, only louder than what I remember. However the dryer only purged once after he reconnected the neck and charged the trailer. I would think if the compressor was cutting in it would purge the dryer each time?

9. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    You would think. Seen one that had a rough idle and long crank to start,like it was loosing prime,but pulled fine. Turn out to be a bad shut off solenoid,it would get so hot you couldn't hold your hand on it.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  10. tony97905

tony97905 Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2015
    Land of Ahhhhhs
    Check the harness down by the Engine Position Sensor ( under accessory drive) REALLY good. Twist it, pull on it, bend it....you get the idea. I've seen a couple with your same symptoms and it was the engine harness in that area as the root cause. It lays down there in oil and heat generally and after so many years it effects idle quality.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  11. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    You know, he shut the truck off while waiting to find out where they wanted him to unload and I do recall it taking a little longer than what I would consider normal for a warm, electronic engine to fire. Same with when he started up the truck to reattach the neck after unloading. Probably cranked for about 4-6 seconds. First time truck was off for less than 3 minutes, 2nd time it wasn't off any more than 15 minutes.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.