N14 missing under load at 1400 RPMs

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by nightgunner, Jan 17, 2018.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Take a engine.

Put a pencil on top of the cylinders at the head of that engine. Each cylinder when rolling nicely (Valves etc) have a certain feeling through that pencil to your fingers. When you come across a cylinder that is LAZY or Valves trouble it will "Tap" at you through the pencil and show it needs more investigation.

The problem I have is my post is theory because I never penciled a big truck diesel that is not feeling well and it might be worth a shot to see.

bigguns and BoxCarKidd Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I'd guess injector issue. As n14 injectors are known to crack tips. But when in shop you may want a blow by test done. With manometer will tell you if your engine is on the way out.

bigguns Thanks this.
  4. nightgunner

nightgunner Road Train Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    The engine has 1.2 on it, so I know an inframe is in my future. I did some looking, and I have narrowed it down to a wiring harness issue. 15 yrs old and corrosion is coming into play.

5. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Please keep this thread going when the issue is resolved. There only seems to be a handful of us on here with these N14's and any info we post when we have problems could sure help others out.

These are some dang good motors, and pretty simple to work on. I'm interested to see how this one turns out.

Oxbow, bigguns, BoxCarKidd and 2 others Thank this.
  6. nightgunner

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Will do.

Oxbow and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. nightgunner

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    The update is that the miss is inconsistent, there is some rough idle after washing the truck. That got me looking at the wiring. In warmer weather, there was less of a miss and an improvement in fuel milage. So I am thinking about an issue with the ambient temperature sensor as well. This all brought me full circle to a wiring harness that is showing its age.

Big_D409, Oxbow, bigguns and 2 others Thank this.
  8. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    When was the last time the overhead was set?

9. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I am also interested. I had a similar engine once long ago and it would be worth learning it's fate in this situation.

10. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ok, wiring harnesses. Do they have them for your rig and what would it take financially to replace it? You cannot risk the gremlins growing in the old one.

11. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Just resolved a similar problem. Motor would run rough at higher rpm. Cracked filter head. Air was getting in fuel just before pump.

Injectors are easy to replace. Kinda like spark plugs. Make a tool. The injector has a hole in the body you insert this tool.
    I took old screw driver. Small diameter shaft 1/8" I think. Grind tip to a point or blunt end. 1" from end bend to a 90° angle. The shaft to handle is about 3", this allows me to insert tool into injector and use pry bar to pull the injector out.

Tool for eps take deep well socket. 1/4" grinder and make a slot up the length of socket wall.

Good luck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.