N14 oil leak

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by 7mouths2feed, Apr 27, 2009.

1. wtm

wtm Light Load Member

May 11, 2009
    south
    That driverside leak sounds like the followers to me if its not bad I wouldnt mess with it if u take the covers off it will have to be jig timed and u will be paying some coin 4 that. I see ur from ga im from athens.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 7mouths2feed

7mouths2feed "Family Man"

Nov 29, 2007
    Jacksonville, AR
    Guy I got it from said the folower gaskets had been replace but if it was the same guy that left all the other gaskets out I'd have to question all his work. I have to claim ignorance here when you say "it will have to be jig timed". I'm not familiar with that term. Explain please.

4. wtm

wtm Light Load Member

May 11, 2009
    south
    Those plates or covers are shimed from what I understand to set ur cam timing u use a jig to measure ur cam lobes and shim the covers to correct position its not something u can do or just any shop can do what I was told is if they arent pouring oil leave them alone u might check and make sure they are all tight they have been known to get a little loose and leak. I have been running trucks 4 a long time and they all leak some if I seen one with any miles at all that didnt leak any oil I would be wondering what was going on with it or if it had oil in it. Mine usually uses/leaks about a gallon between 15000 mile changes always has. As long as it doesent have alot of blow by and good oil pressure I think mine runs about 32-35lbs when its hot and runs between 200-210 degrees.In the summer time. I would say get the leaks to a minimum but I dont pull a head just because its leaking a little oil so keep it with in reason get u a oil analisis to let u know where ur at. I would really be suprised if that motor hasent been inframed but they will run that many without it sometimes but I would expect it to have a bit off blow by and pretty low pressure at that point.

5. 7mouths2feed

Nov 29, 2007
    Jacksonville, AR
    My feeling was the same as far as an inframe. No blow-by and very good oil pressure both at idle and at speed. The leak seems pretty bad, I'm sure it would be more like a gallon every 500 miles. I need to really read the book and understand where everything is located. Thanks for your help.

6. wtm

wtm Light Load Member

May 11, 2009
    south
    Thats alot of oil it shouldnt be hard to locate at that rate. I would recommend some places that could help u at a very reasonable price in ga but advertising is not alowed on this site and I dont want to break the rules.

7. 24valve puller

24valve puller Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2007
    N.E. Oh
    It's prolly just one of the follower cover bolts loosened up, I had the same problem, guy I bought the truck from had just done the gaskets(around $1600) and a couple of the bolts have loosened up. Also if you did the accy. drive gasket I hope you got it timed right when you put it back together, if not you cannot set the overhead

7mouths2feed Thanks this.
  8. FYDA FREIGHTLINER CINCY

FYDA FREIGHTLINER CINCY Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Cincinnati, ohio
    to do cam follower gaskets, u don't need any special jig. pushtubes need to come out, starter, ecm and air compressor need to come off. with the electronic timing, your gaskets will have the thickness wrote on them just take them to the dealer and get the same gasket. thier are 2 dowels in the covers that line everything up, make sure they go back in and u don't lose them

9. 7mouths2feed

Nov 29, 2007
    Jacksonville, AR
    I have a strong suspicion the leak is coming from the rear cam followers and its probably just loose. The ones that I can view look good. I have to pull the doghouse to get a better view since its tucked up under the cab and there's a ton of wires running just above the starter hiding my view.

As to the comment on the accsy drive. Part of the reason this job took the better part of 2 days was due to reading and re-reading the manual on exactly what to do. not only did i align the gears with the correct visible timing marks on the gears but I had marked it myself before dis-assembly.

I assure you I made darn sure I did it right. LOL Thats not something I want to have to redo.:biggrin_25525:

10. 24valve puller

24valve puller Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2007
    N.E. Oh
    I just said that because the greasemonkey that did mine the week before I bought it didn't time it, just threw it back together, Talk about a PITA

11. FYDA FREIGHTLINER CINCY

FYDA FREIGHTLINER CINCY Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Cincinnati, ohio
    a little blue loctite does wonders lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.