Nashville liquor store owner, 88, explains why she shot shoplifter.

Discussion in 'Other News' started by Chinatown, Jun 21, 2020.

1. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i actually got a letter in saturdays mail...

You are selected to be a member of a jury between July 21 2020, to June 21, 2021..

she'd be toast at that trial.....

PE_T Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i have been thru this scenario.

if the children think at any time, a parent is unable to function at anything at anytime, but fail to take action, they can be held liable.

my bro-in-law was coming down with dementia. his kids thought that there was something wrong, but didn't take away his driver's license, or car, or keys.

he hit a parked car.

oh, his insurance paid mind you, but the owner of the car pursued a lawsuit all the same, for loss of income.

he won...the kids were in deep crap, the eldest had "power of attorney over him".....he got nailed in the lawsuit for the loss of income...

that's how the kids can be held responsible, at least up here.

bro-in-law died about a year later...his kids learnt a lesson....

4. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

She stopped being a genuine victim the moment she decided to break the law. She may have not been aware of the law, but we all know that not knowing the law is no excuse.

Are you proposing that people start taking matters into their own hands? C’mon ZVar. You know better. Law enforcement have problems enforcing the laws and they have way more power than any civilian. Let law enforcement knock themselves out. They have the weapons, the training, and the authority to defend themselves physically and in court. Civilians not so much. We pay them to operate, so might as well use them. That’s why they’re there.

Why is it laughable? I’ve seen truck stops and shipper/receivers put up pictures of people who have been banned for stealing or other problems. Then there is the option of hiring a security guard if the area is that bad. If you cannot afford it, then too bad. That’s business.

Okay, I misread the article. I still believe she will be charged somehow for the simple fact that she shot the thief in the back while he was running away. That’s a no-no.

“May Boyce was charged with aggravated assault and released on $10,000 bond, according to Nashville police.”

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/nation-world/national/article243657927.html

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    ZVar, buddyd157 and mjd4277 Thank this.
  5. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    And in recent years they’ve been cracking down on older,elderly drivers because of incidents/accidents they’ve been in-mostly involving people who hit the accelerator when they thought they hit the brakes!

PE_T Thanks this.
  6. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    yes, the doctors here can now request to the DMV to take away a drivers license of an elderly person, if the family has "No heart" in taking away that license.

mjd4277 and PE_T Thank this.
  7. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    I never said black people getting off easy, I said criminals. Anyway, if the criminal goes to court I hope he gets 5 years in the pen. And hopefuly the old lady gets off with a $20 fine.

TokyoJoe Thanks this.
  8. mjd4277

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Same here in MA,the RMV can be notified by a doctor and they’ll take action.

buddyd157 and PE_T Thank this.
  9. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    I bet you'd feel different if somebody broke into your house.

10. mjd4277

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Doubt that.
    If she’s convicted her livelihood is over.
    First thing they’ll do is take her store’s LIQUOR LICENSE-effectively putting her out of business! Businesses that sell alcoholic beverages and lose that license find it VERY DIFFICULT (if not IMPOSSIBLE)to get that back! There’s a LOT of red tape involved!

PE_T and rachi Thank this.
  11. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Just making sure, which is why I said “assumed” twice.

It’s a good thing you won’t be part of the jury. We need people who can remain impartial.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.