NC Truck Driver Training School

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by soundman, Aug 29, 2007.

1. soundman

soundman Light Load Member

Aug 20, 2007
    PA
    Anyone have any experience with NC Truck Driver Training School at Johnston Community College in Smithfield. Good? Bad? Recommendations? Thanks for any input!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ParkRanger

ParkRanger Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I'm real suprised that this school isn't listed here so I thought I'd add it. The course runs 8 weeks, costs less than $700 (for NC residents) and is the oldest trucking school in the USA. I'm only into my 3rd week and the training is extremely comprehensive. I will warn you that if you just want a CDL and don't want to work hard (school is about 11 hours a day) and practice, practice, practice, this might not be the place for you. Not everyone who starts the school graduates, but if you graduate, you have earned it. Come on JCC graduates, speak up for your school! Unless you want your friends to get in before it gets overrun with folks who don't want to pay $5000.

4. kickin chicken

kickin chicken Road Train Member

Jan 4, 2009
    SC
    They have a wonderful accredited program. I'm not sure how many decades of experience. They have a huge wall full of awards.
    Delihla was in charge of the pgm, believe she still is. Job placement is very important. They will get pre hires, if needed for felonies etc.
    They have the best price in their area. Check w/ your local ESC and get into program called the WIA. This is available funding $ for training. Plus Smithfield CC can help as well.
    One of the most equipped schools that I have visited. Many types of trucks and trailers ~Tanker,flatbed,box, refer beautiful condition, full shop, miles of training course. The only other school that I saw that was this equipped was Greenville Tech College in Greenville, SC. They have been teaching for decades as well. I believe that they are rated in the top ten of Truck Driving Schools in the nation. Many decades of experience is why they are so equipped and through. The programs exceed the 4 week norm. You will get the accredation of one year experience when you do graduate,I believe. Ask the school!!! Shop around.
    I graduated from Charlotte Truck Driver Training School in 2007. They offer housing and work with the WIA prgm as well. I went for free. 4 weeks or 9 wknds. The housing is set up for straight 4 wk training. You can go home on wkends or stay and get the extra yard or class time. They are family owned since 1971. Great school as well.
    I have known many a graduate from all 3 of these schools. They were very happy with their training.
    The only fall backs I see with new grads is their past, being either criminal or too many citations. This limits where you can start your career. I have found that if you start w/ a company, get some OTR experience then start putting out those applications. Target the companies that only want a 5 year background or MVR. Out run your record. Your experience and performance will come to the forefront and your past will remain the past. Keep your safety record clean, remain drug free and set a goal.
    I commend all three schools on their excellent training and their commitment to helping their students. Now and in the future. Referring drivers is never ending and they are there for the long haul.
    All the best!
    Ride safe,
    KC

BeamRock3 Thanks this.
  5. kinnakeet04

kinnakeet04 Light Load Member

Apr 25, 2009
    avon nc
    :yes2557:Started class 523 there the 29th. So far everything has been great. They have a lot of equipment and the teachers are great. Our class started out with 38. I am curious how many will make it. So far I get the impression that this is going to be a tough class. They won't put up with any slackers. I believe if you get your get your certificate from there you definitely earned it. Della one of the secretaries is awesome. I feel like she is the backbone of the operation. And Sherman one of our instructors has a great style of teaching. He know's how to keep you laughing and teach you something at the same time. I will try to keep everybody informed on our progress.

kickin chicken Thanks this.
  6. kinnakeet04

Apr 25, 2009
    avon nc
    :Trailer::Trailer:Finished up second day on the road today. What a experience! Started out driving a freightliner with a nine speed transmission. All in all it seemed like everybody did good. I haven't got the hang of down shifting yet. I definitely have to work on the hand eye coordination. Hopefully it will improve with practice. Friday we switch over to ten speed transmissions. We rotate back and forth with half the class on the road and the other half doing field exercises. This seems to work out well. I have learned a lot in the week and a half of class. I really believe that I made a good decision attending this school.

7. kickin chicken

Jan 4, 2009
    SC
    Good for you kinnakeet04!!!

This is an intense program with extensive equipment.
    Sounds like you are doing well.:)

Will you please ask Della how much accredation you will receive as a new graduate from their program?
    I believe that it is the equivalent of 1 year driving experience.
    Thanks!!!

Wish you success!!!

kinnakeet04 Thanks this.
  8. kinnakeet04

Apr 25, 2009
    avon nc
    Sorry it took me so long to reply to your post. I've been offline for a couple of days. I will ask Della tomorrow about how much time is accredited for this program. I seem to remember six months being mentioned. I will ask to be sure. Took my first drive in town today. Wow! All the time doing forward exercises payed off. I am still amazed at some of the places you can get a tractor and trailer. I believe we drive in downtown Raleigh on Friday. I would not be telling the truth if I said I wasn't a little concerned. But I have great faith in the instructors to get us in and out in one piece! KC I should have a answer for you tomorrow.:biggrin_25511:

9. kickin chicken

Jan 4, 2009
    SC
    Thanks KinnaKeet.

You are correct, it is 6 months accreditation.

I am amazed at the price of less than $700.00. This beats any funding, financing or contract obligations.

One of the best schools in the Nation!!!

You will be just fine.
    :)
    Raleigh is not that bad. Get the butterflies under control. Trucks smell fear. Hah!
    Get a good night's rest.

"Tough Times Don't Last....Tough People Do."

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  10. kinnakeet04

Apr 25, 2009
    avon nc
    I talked to Della today. As you stated it is six months accreditation. It is amazing at how many people pay $3,500 - $6,000 for school! I can't say it enough people save your money. Community College's are the way to go. One quarter the price and ten times the info and quality of training! Also one third of our classes tuition, books, as well as lodging is being paid for by W.I.A. :yes2557:

kickin chicken Thanks this.
  11. Xrays2Highways

Xrays2Highways Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I'm thinking about going to Johnston as well but Nash would be closer to me from Greenville. How often do their programs start?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.