NC Truck Driving Training School at Johnston County CC

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by ncmickey, Jul 25, 2013.

1. ncmickey

ncmickey Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Durham NC
    Looks like I am almost set for Orientation on Sept 30th. with the 8 week class starting on Oct 28th. Hopefully my Christmas present is a shiny new CDL!! I hope to start out the new year with my new career!

Any recent experience with this school?

I have to get my DOT Physical and my NC CDL learners permit before I start. Otherwise I am good to go.

Should I wait till after school starts to contact any companies? I know they come to the class...just dont know if I should be calling around. I'm itching to get started but can't start till i get all my ducks in a row with my current job. Cant just walk away.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    That's great. Keep us in the loop during your journey.

Pete

ncmickey Thanks this.
  4. TURKER

TURKER Medium Load Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    It is a real good school,you will learn a lot.Instructors are real friendly and they want you to learn.I went to JCCC years ago.Good Luck.

ncmickey Thanks this.
  5. ncmickey

Jun 21, 2013
    Durham NC
    Well, it's finally here! I start school on Monday. I'll be sure to post updates as I go.

At orientation we took a $38 urine drug test and $8 for your NC driving record.

I already passed the DOT physical ($79 at the doctors office) and got my CDL learners permit. All registered and paid in full. $961.50 plus $55 for books the first day.

I'm excited to get started but nervous too. Class is Monday-Friday for 7am to 6 pm.

GeorgeDee and ashltn Thank this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    That's a fantastic price for CDL school. Get those endorsements also. Do you have a list of companies you're interested in? If you want tanker/hazmat, get the TWIC also.

ashltn and ncmickey Thank this.
  7. flyingmusician

flyingmusician Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Jamestown, NC
    pretty much a standardized course across the NC community college system. I went to it at Davidson county community college. outstanding course, instructors and level of instruction. mine was $854 all in except books.

you'll be glad for the length of the course, time in the seat and repetition in yardwork and backing exercises. it will have you far beyond what shows up at whatever orientation you go to that shows up from the 3 week cdl mills.

of the 9 people in my orientation, only 4 of us made it past the first day. I was the only student that did. the 3 week wonders from the other schools could hardly drive forward, much less backwards......2 of them had accidents or incidents during their road tests and none of the other students made it past the road test.

you made a good choice you'll be glad for it. the NC community college system also has contacts with some smaller, better, more local companies in addition to the usual suspects that will show up recruiting.

2 weeks before you graduate is a good time to start the application process with the companies you're looking at. you might consider epes out of Greensboro. they like hiring from the NC system and it's not a bad gig. think out of the box and look at smaller companies rather than the megas......generally the experience will be better

ashltn and ncmickey Thank this.
  8. ashltn

ashltn Light Load Member

Oct 26, 2013
    w-s nc
    tha button says "Remove Thanks", well why naw, ah've been a lookin' forward to a werd with u ever since. Yours truly.

9. ashltn

ashltn Light Load Member

Oct 26, 2013
    w-s nc
    ok. Ah'm a kinda new at this, ya got mah call sign, ah been a followerin' this forum a while this year, aimin' at gettin' sumthin' biggern' an better payin' than a forklift/lumper/laborer/wheelbarrow drivin' type"sob" kinda pay"ing" type a job, "not that there's anything wrong with that", see whar ah'm a c'ming from? Yours truly

10. cementandrocks

cementandrocks Light Load Member

Jun 17, 2013
    NCMickey, good luck on school. I used to live in the Bull City! lol

ncmickey Thanks this.
  11. ncmickey

Jun 21, 2013
    Durham NC
    Wow... 1st day was great. First half of day was spent doing some paperwork and meeting the instructors. Got our book. They include a drivers log book, a driver's training school student handbook, a federal motor carrier safety regulations book, a Rand McNally motor carriers road atlas, an alcohol and drug testing awareness training book, and a US Dept of Trans Federal motor Carriers Safety Admin book.
    After lunch we watched a safety video on climbing in and out of trucks, trailers and loading docks. A safety video that was made in the 70's I think...The rest of the afternoon was spent learning pretrip, first in the classroom and then out on the range. I sat inside a tractor trailer for the first time ever! Lol it was nice to see all the parts that I learned about from reading the NC CDL manual. Makes a lot more sense now. The school has Freightliners, a Mack, Peterbuilt, Volvo, I think a Kenilworth , a brand that bought out Ford and international day cabs for range work.
    School is 384 hrs and 78% of your time is spent on road and range work. They are very strict about being late and cellphones. I an very impressed with the school. Really looking forward to learning!!

There is 32 students and 10 instructors. Only 2-3 students per truck.
    Ill update more as I go

ashltn Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.