ND or MN Companies that hire out of school

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by RampageGNS, Jan 28, 2021.

1. RampageGNS

RampageGNS Light Load Member

Jan 27, 2021
    NH
    good to know I’ll keep an eye on them, they actually sent a recruiter to my school unfortunately I wasn’t there that day (was getting my permit) I’ll have to ask my teacher or fellow student for the recruiters contact info. Hey never a bad thing to reach out and talk to as many companies as will return your call.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Muskie

Muskie Medium Load Member

Feb 27, 2019
    You got that right. Can always start with Magnum and keep looking for better paying job in that area as you go. Especially after 6 months. That's what I did. If Estes (corporate safety) wouldn't have buckled down on their requirement for 1 year of OTR, I would have been working for them sooner. What ever you do, just remember, take your time, no accidents or tickets is your golden ticket to a better paying company. Also, get all 3 endorsements, tanker, doubles and triples, hazmat. No restrictions, use a stick.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    RampageGNS Thanks this.
  4. Muskie

Muskie Medium Load Member

Feb 27, 2019
    No need to pay rent. With Magnum you can stay out as long as you like, live out of the truck. Use whatever address you prefer, even the one with your NH CDL, Magnum won't care. When you apply, apply to the terminal for OTR out of (Fargo), this is your home terminal but Magnum will let you break anywhere they go. Florida if you like, again live out of the truck, or stay with friends. Magnum arranges transportation to orientation or reimburse you if you drive. Move when you feel it's time, if you like, or don't.

JForce28 and RampageGNS Thank this.
  5. mud23609

mud23609 Medium Load Member

Mar 9, 2015
    During my time off I would either visit friends, or sometimes even stay in the truck at the yard in Fargo for a few of those nights if the truck wasn't in the shop. I kept my pickup parked at the yard in Fargo, so I was able to move around at will on my days off. I had a countertop oven, microwave and an electric skillet in the truck along with satellite radio so in many ways if I was going to be in Fargo for the week I preferred it to a hotel room if I planned to stay in the city.

Now as far as what address I used. I did something that I recommend to all otr drivers that do not have an apartment. I got a mailbox with a company called Dakota Post out of Sioux Falls SD. And I also set up residency in SD and use the PO box as my domicile address. Setting up residency in South Dakota is very easy. It requires a one night stay at a hotel or campground and a trip to the DMV. I rolled into town the night before. Checked in at the motel 6. Woke up and headed to BK for breakfast about 9 am then went over to Dakota post and signed up for my mailbox, then off to the DMV to change over my driver's license. I was done before noon, and it cost me less than 500 all in and that is with the most expensive package at Dakota post.

Why did I do this you might ask? South Dakota has no personal income tax which saved me thousands per year over keeping my domicile in my home state of WI.

Honestly if during your time OTR you are often going to want to go see your fiancée in Canada I would not even bother with getting an apartment. Get South Dakota residency, park your car in Fargo and bank your money. Then when you are on home time you can head up north and see your honey. Do that for a year or so, get a nice stack in the bank and then if you want go local and get an apartment but until you go local especially if you're going to head to Canada often your wasting thousands of dollars a year on a place you will rarely ever sleep.

Mail Forwarding Service | Address Forwarding Services | DakotaPost

RampageGNS Thanks this.
  6. RampageGNS

Jan 27, 2021
    NH
    Exactly what I was looking for information wise thank you man, appreciate it.

7. RampageGNS

Jan 27, 2021
    NH
    Thank you man. Very thorough and informative. This makes the most sense, just being new to all this had no idea what you are or aren’t able to do legally or company wise. This sounds like a plan that’d work great for me the first year. Really appreciate all the help guys. Think Magnum is going to be my first application.

8. RampageGNS

Jan 27, 2021
    NH
    One last question, all you need to do is stay in a hotel one night? What’s the documentation required to transfer your license? I know it varies by state but seems crazy it’s that simple but I’ve always lived in New England maybe we’re just way more strict. Also after looking at their site since NH has no income tax either could I simply get my mail forwarded to Dakota post then to me? And just keep my NH license and not deal with the DMV or do I need to be a resident to use Dakota Post.

Reason for edit: Added information
  9. mud23609

mud23609 Medium Load Member

Mar 9, 2015
    South Dakota is about the easiest state to establish a domicile in. I spent one night at the motel 6 and had them put the Dakota post address on the receipt. That along with the paperwork from Dakota post and my birth certificate, med card, and WI driver's license was all that I needed. They will walk you through the process.

If you choose to stay with New Hampshire residency you can probably find a mail forwarding service in your state or use a virtual service as well. I also had a UPS mailbox in Fargo that I used to have packages shipped to or mail that I actually needed to have in my physical hands. It cost me an extra 25 bucks a month but was a nice luxury for me.

For simplicity’s sake you could just get a UPS or USPS box and remain domiciled in NH if you choose to do it that way.

RampageGNS Thanks this.
  10. RampageGNS

Jan 27, 2021
    NH
    Ok cool, was just curious as the way my birthday, hence registration on personal vehicle and all that works out will need to be renewed just before I’m done classes. So close to a year anyway if I don’t need to re register and whatnot figure why spend the extra money if not necessary to further stash away money that first year.

11. Capacity

Capacity Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Neenah Wi
    Altendorf Trucking , Minto Nd
    Runs local inbound potatoes for Simplot Grand Forks.
    He also has a OTR reefer fleet , Marvins been in business a long time.

Transystems Grand Forks Nd.
    Strata Construction , Fargo
    Nutrea Fertilizer , Grand Forks

Tons of AG work that pays well , CDL optional.

Good Luck!

RampageGNS Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.