Need advice on getting CDL, legally blind in one eye.

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Samuelrivera34, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Wesely87

Wesely87 Bobtail Member

Jul 23, 2019
    I have a similar problem. I already have my cdl. I was in jail for 8 months qhile I was in I got into a scuffle and injured my eye. I didnt know how bad it was until I got released. I went for an interview for a trucking company and did great with the road test. He told me I had to get another physical but I kbow I wasnt going to pass it. I have a detached retina. Honestly I dont know what I'm going to do either.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ksaenz53

Ksaenz53 Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2019
    Hey Sam I’m legally blind from my right eye I stay in Covina how did you do it to pass all the requirements?

4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I was told to put down the slug gun due to one retina from the shock and recoil of firing. Then I was told if I ever had bolts of lightning in that eye I have 4 hours to find doc to burn the retina back into place with laser or lose sight when the material dies.

Thats all I know.

Here in Arkansas you need two good eyes to run a big rig. The finer details could be hammered at the vision exam for the DOT card. What I usually do is memorize that line and repeat it as if I did not long ago. That was usually the first item I look for going into the place.

6. WREN

WREN Medium Load Member

Jul 17, 2017
    Florida panhandle
    Well, I have some kind of ism in my left eye and can not read the little funky machine at the DMV to pass the exam or hardly the eye chart for the med card. What I did was I went to my eye doctor and she did a test and discovered that she was able to do certain things like isolate lines in text which would slightly improve my ability to see. See also wrote a note/letter explaining that even though Im not 20/40 in my left eye, that in needed circumstances I can see and read with difficulty AND that I had 20/20 using both eyes since my right eye compensates. This letter has allowed me to get and keep my CDL over the years. In fact its up for renewal in April and Im thinking about going ahead and doing it now to get it over with.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  7. Ridlingdj

Ridlingdj Medium Load Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oh god one eye at swift can you imagine

8. Ksaenz53

Ksaenz53 Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2019
    Did you end up getting your cdl I have have the same problem?

9. 2tall louisiana

2tall louisiana Bobtail Member

Oct 16, 2019
    You can still drive and be certified but it’s an application that must be filled out. It called an Vision Waiver. A DOT physician will require you to get one before giving you your dot physical form. Search the web for DOT Vision Waiver, Get it completed and submitted than wait.

10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Detached retina can be repaired. If it's minor, such as a wrinkle Ophthalmologists can fix it with special eye drops. If it's more severe, the Ophthalmologists sedates you and fixes the problem.
    May be a problem if you don't have insurance.
    UCLA Stein Eye Institute Westwood
    Ophthalmologist

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  11. David gilliland

David gilliland Bobtail Member

Sep 17, 2020

12. firemedic2816

firemedic2816 Road Train Member

May 14, 2016
    Walton Kentucky

• Truckers Report Jobs