Need advice QUICK!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by stinkyfinger, Jan 22, 2007.

1. stinkyfinger

stinkyfinger Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2007
    I myself am an old driver but need to get some ifo quick like. Here it is...My cdl is up for renewal. I need to put the "combo" endorsement on it.What testing is done for this? Written & some sort of hands on? Written only? Or what? I'm in Ohio (ever hear of the Buckeyes?),will this cost extra and how much. I've tried to call the place where I need to go to do this. Since 8am this morning I haved called AT LEAST 60 times!Either busy or it rings and rings then I hear a series of beeps,maybe an answering machine but I never left any message. ANY info at all would be great

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ

Pick up a CDL manual for your state and study for the combo endoresment. Will be a written test.

4. buck and a half

buck and a half Mr. Miles & Miles with Many Smiles

Aug 11, 2006
    madison,me
    yep,your home state cdl handbook will tell you exactly what test it will involve. best of luck to you.

5. stinkyfinger

stinkyfinger Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2007
    thanks guys
    I got thru today and the info she gave me shocked me. I had forgotten ALL about this. I have to have that background check and fingerprint thing for when you have to renew your hazmat. FORGOT all about that! So I had to drive 61 miles to get my fingerprints scanned.Prior to that I called the ph. # and had to charge 94 bucks on my credit card for this procedure to take place. So now I have to wait till the background check is done,which MAY take UP TO, I think 4 wks. Just depends, most she said, get it in about a wk or 2. I can take my dbls. test but that costs money and then I wouldn't have hazmat on there (since the background check isnt complete).I would then have to pay AGAIN for the hazmat ends. when it cleared.
    I LOVE THIS INDUSTRY !!!!!:frown::sad5::sad4:
    as Plant would sing, nobodys fault but mine

6. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ

Your welcome! KY it is $130.00 To Re new hazmat. This last time I told them to forget it and drop the endorsement. Many companies have dropped the requirement for it anyway. After I got home and got to looking at my CDL they put it on there anyway. I think it is a rip off anyway. Why gouge the driver? If the company wants to haul hazmat. Let them pay for the endorsement. They make more for the load anyway. Driver does not make anything more for fooling with it. All it does is puts a big sign on your truck, DOT look at me, pull me in and check me out!:p To me it is not worth fooling with.

It sure does not make the industry any safer. What is to keep some can't wait to blow myself up along with everyone else around me; from killing the driver with the CDL with the high dollar endorsement at a truck stop and driving the truck into a target? After all we mark which trucks are rolling bombs anyway so they know which one to hijack. :dontknow:

7. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Hauling a placarded load through a scale will almost always get you pulled around back and your paperwork checked at the very least. Unless you are hauling something you haul often or that the rules are clear on, something is almost sure to be wrong with something, I had to have Hazardous to work at an Agricultural Coop, but I now wish I didn't have it.
    Many of the big companies do require you to obtain it, and it does leave more job choices open if you are faced with a job change, not everything is flammable or explosive, some is simply hazardous.

Brokered hazardous material loads don't pay much more as a rule, and they are a pain to everyone involved, I didn't mind pulling regular non-brokered hazardous loads because we pulled other freight for these customers, as well.

AJ

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.