Need advice relating to accident, and personal injury.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Discount Iceman, Dec 9, 2022.

1. thatsright

thatsright Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2022
    Forget the lawyer tell the company to pay all medical bills and keep your paycheck coming(average of last 2-3 months). Then after you are released back to work tell them to cut a check for 300,000. Then go get another job. The lawyer is going to do the same thing but take 1/3 of it.

Discount Iceman and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. silverspur

silverspur Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2012
    The week before Katrina, I was in the nose of a trailer filled with 55 gallon drums of flammable resin securing some smaller containers the previous driver had left untethered. I looked up and saw one of the company mechanics standing in front of me with a lit cigarette in his hand. In the scramble to get out, I tripped over a load lock and fell, breaking my pelvis. It bothers me now when I turn suddenly.

IMO it's a mistake to just settle for medical bills or a few weeks of measly workers comp. If that driver was trained right he wouldn't have fallen asleep. Being sued and having to pay is the only thing these companies understand. It makes things safer for future drivers.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2022
  4. silverspur

silverspur Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2012
    I was on a dock at an onion farm in the Northwest and the owner told me his insurance had to pay $200,000 for a lady truck driver that got knocked down by a forklift driver backing out of a trailer.

Discount Iceman Thanks this.
  5. Discount Iceman

Discount Iceman Bobtail Member

Dec 9, 2022
    Hello, everyone.

Thanks for all the advice. I'd been struggling with the decision on whether or not to get lawyered up, but between the comments on here and some suspicious behavior by my company in the time since the accident, it's pretty clear that I need a worker's comp attorney. I'll be shopping for one in the coming days, and trying to avoid speaking to anyone from my company over the phone.

6. Sixela918

Sixela918 Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2021
    Phoenix, AZ
    Wow, I can relate. My co-driver fell asleep (driving) while I was asleep too. From what I've found out, suing the company and/or the co-driver is not an option because of the workmans compensation insurance. I've spoken to more lawyers than I care to admit until I finally found one who explained why nobody wanted to take the case. Basically, workmans comp insurance shields the company (and by extension the co-driver) from any personal injury claim. Find a workmans comp attorney right away.

7. Sixela918

Sixela918 Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2021
    Phoenix, AZ
    What state are you in?

8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Good luck with your recovery driver.

9. 88228822

88228822 Heavy Load Member

Sep 26, 2018
    Insurance companies pay out on this sort of thing. Workman's comp is to get you thru in the short term. You've been harmed by a for profit business.

The only way I would even consider not pursuing a payout would be if my injury healed completely and I went "back to normal." Otherwise the system is setup to pay you money and you would be a fool to turn down the money.

I broke my foot on the job thru no fault of my own and thankfully it healed correctly and I didn't even have a cast or surgery on it and it's 99% of what it was before the accident, which is all I care about.

You have no idea what you will be like physically in the future. Generally you have 2 years to file so maybe see how well you heal.

10. Discount Iceman

Discount Iceman Bobtail Member

Dec 9, 2022
    Also, the accident happened in Tennessee, where the company is headquartered.

11. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Workman's comp is like unemployment. Not enough to pay the bills.

silverspur Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.