need advice-should I stay or should I go?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by longbedGTs, Nov 20, 2017.

1. longbedGTs

longbedGTs Heavy Load Member

May 8, 2007
    Texas
    I'm looking for advice on my current situation about getting my own truck, and I know I can get solid advice here from you guys...so here it goes. I don't think I have enough in savings to act as a cushion while jumping into the O/O world. I want to be financially ready for the unexpected.

I've been with this company for about 2.5 years as a company driver and like it, but the pay is low and while it pays the bills, I'm not putting much into savings. They're somewhat small(150 trucks or so) and most of the company is made up of owner operators. I haven't yet spoken with the operations manager about the requirements and pay and such, but I do know they pay 75% of the linehaul and 100% of the FSC. Not sure on the truck age limits. I have a history with this company, so I think transitioning into O/O status would be better than going right into O/O with an unknown company.

The other option is to move to a better paying company and build my savings up so I'll have more breathing room when I get my own truck. The bad part about changing companies though, would be that I'd be flushing 2.5 years of relationship down the drain by having to start with a new company. I do want to take the plunge and become an O/O after being a company man for 10 years, but want to make sure I'm not setting myself up for failure by rushing into it. I'm looking at pre emission 379s and from what I've seen on truckpaper, are around 30K. I'm thinking I could get a bank loan to pay for the truck, then have my savings to act as the cushion I need. Wouldn't it be better to have to pay a bank loan than to pay a dealership? Curious on your thoughts about this. I've read some topics here about becoming a new O/O, but can only take in so much info before I start having questions about it. Thanks.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    flush and move on.

longbedGTs and TallJoe Thank this.
  4. miss elvee

miss elvee Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Russellville, AR
    I don't wanna be a negative Nancy.... but 30k ain't but spit in the bucket. Down on your truck, taxes, tags, IFTA, HUT, permits, insurance, ELD, tires, brakes, unforeseen repairs plus 2 weeks- 6 weeks of operating capital plus home expenses.... it gets to be a full bucket of cash in a hurry.

You need as much cash as you can get your paws on.

5. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    I was a company driver for years. Bought a '99 W9 two years ago for $18,500 and leased it on. Had money in the bank but kept most of it in there. Put $4,500 down and borrowed $14,000 on a 3 year note. Truck was in decent shape, motor (N14) ran good but had quite a bit of blowby. Expected on a 1.2 million mile motor. So I talked real sweet to her and told her if she'd give me 6 months I'd have enough money to inframe her and make both of us happy.

I drove it a year and a half and she never did lay down on me. Finally did a planned inframe back in June. Paid her off in July, a year and a half early. New tires, new rear suspension, new brakes, all new AC stuff, etc. Finally, the past few months, I'm gettin to the point where I can feel good about spending money on her looks. Chicken lights, visor, 20" drop bumper, new stacks.

Point is, if you're gonna lease on, the amount of cushion shouldn't be near as much as if you're gonna run your own numbers. But you definitely still need some cushion. If you are like me and do your own wrenching, it'll help a lot. I made a deal with the owner of the company that if I had a major breakdown the first few months and couldn't afford to fix it, I'd jump back in a company truck. My truck payments weren't so high that I couldn't have made them on company pay.

6. longbedGTs

longbedGTs Heavy Load Member

May 8, 2007
    Texas
    Thanks so much! I am a mechanic, (working on my own cars for 17years)and am looking forward to doing my own work on the truck. I am hard nosed in that way that I will do any and everything I can myself. I feel helpless if I have to have anyone do something for me, but I realize that there may be times on the road where I will have to take it to a shop. I will do as much as I can to avoid that though.

You bring up another good point. I can always go back to being a company driver if things don't work out. That's plan B. I started trucking with the same line of thinking back in 2007. If this doesn't work out, then I'll go do something else...but atleast I tried.

fortycalglock, Lepton1 and ShooterK2 Thank this.
  7. trucking.shine

trucking.shine Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2017
    I think you should try to move on another company. It sounds like you have a good record, so finding a new company to drive for won't be a problem. And in terms of the years in your current company, I think if you go back wanting to be a O/O they'll take you in no time. They probably preferred a well-known driver with a good record than any other O/O.

8. Doing_flatbed_nc

Doing_flatbed_nc Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2016
    No guts, no glory.

Find a good truck and pull the trigger. You'll never go back to being a company driver.

I'd stay in business with the current employer for a little bit and get your truck paid off asap.

have enough in savings for PMs and getting bugs worked out. My first month, I put in about $2500 in repairs.

After you hold the title, stay or go out on your own.

Lepton1, longbedGTs and x1Heavy Thank this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    This would not be America if you did not actually do something for yourself.

Just be very careful what you are buying into.

TallJoe and longbedGTs Thank this.
  10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Why not jump ship for a better paying company position. Leave on good terms, with notice, etc...
    Once you get that money saved up that you want call your current company up and see what they have available.

longbedGTs and cybill234 Thank this.
  11. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Talk to current employer. You might be surprised what they offer to keep you either as a driver or o/o.
    If their offer isn't good. Leave with the door open and don't burn any Bridges.
    Good luck.

Lepton1, TripleSix, Bean Jr. and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.