Need Advise on Pre def and electronic ignition trucks

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by PileDriver, Feb 28, 2020.

1. PileDriver

PileDriver Bobtail Member

Feb 28, 2020
    Good Day..........I am searching for a good used truck in the 2008 to 2000 year model. We would prefer a
    Kenworth or Peterbilt 6 x 4 day cab. Our problem is we know nothing about tractors and need some assistance. We shall be using the truck to carry concrete pilings in southwest Florida for pile driving business. It is important to us that the truck have locking rears so it doesn't get stuck easily in our sugar sand.
    We need to know what is our best option for us to purchase a used truck. Preferably a Kenworth or Peterbilt. Some local drivers have suggested we purchase a older vehicle without def and electronic ignitions. Also, we were told to stay away from trucks running in northern states because of the salt on roads.
    Any information someone could provide us would be sincerely welcomed.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  4. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    They are all electronic ignition trucks as you call them. They all have computers running the engine unless you go back in trucks. You don't want the first generation emissions trucks. Emissions trucks first come out in 2002. They had lots of problem because they did not know what they were doing. Firs couple year we had EGR. Then they put on DPF and last in 2010 they added DEF. If you can get a 2000 truck with pre emissions engine those were good trucks like S60 Detroit or Cats. Catapiller had their Acert engine some people don't think it and emissions engine but it was. I has two turbos and was last truck engine Cat made because they did not or could not meet the newer emissions law coming back then.

You can look for a Glider Kit truck. Those are new trucks and have the older pre emissions engine. Fitzgerald truck was building then but they were building the engines themselves and some people did not have good luck with the rebuild engine by Fitzgerald vs an rebuild engine from Detroit Diesel

singlescrewshaker and stillwurkin Thank this.
  5. PileDriver

Feb 28, 2020
    Thanks Brandt I sincerely appreciate your thoughts and advise........be well my friend.

6. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    2010 Freightliner FLD120 Military - govdeals.com

Ain't no paccar product, but seen one of them pulling rgn in Indy last week. 6×6 should slog it out, looks like it even has a sand mode. Detroit series 60 is one of the most reliable on highway engines ever made, & if you look closely, thats a pre egr Detroit stuffed in there..

I was just recently informed Gov't was exempt from emission long after they imposed them on us..
    20200227_105351.jpg

magoo68 and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  7. PileDriver

Feb 28, 2020
    Thank u Screwshaker appreciate the advise...... I am fast learning that trying to locate an older KW or Peterbilt that we need are not going to be easy. Do you have any thoughts on best place to try and find one, by chance is there a For Sale Forum on here my friend?
    Charlie

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Gee, imagine that... :rolleyes: :mad:

magoo68 and singlescrewshaker Thank this.
  9. singlescrewshaker

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    I don't do Facebook, but hear there is a truck sales on there..?

Have you tried truck paper, craigslist, trucker to trucker, & there is a classified section here on truckers report too..

Don't know how far south you are, but TSI truck sales in lake Wales fl, had some decent Pete's & Kenworths for sale. I went over there maybe 3 weeks ago to look at a w900 for a friend. Couple nice trucks on the lot.

Pasco fleet sales in Dade city has a few older trucks on the lot, but I have not seen any of them in person yet..

Ohio truck sales in Sandusky claims they specialized in long hoods. They have a bunch on the lot, but I am personally unfamiliar with them, or their business ethics. Not saying they are bad or good, I really have no idea either way.. They do have lots of older rigs that appear to be in nice shape.. In my experience so far, FL has some of the worst freight rates, yet the asking prices for trucks are astronomically high.! Bought my truck & last 2 trailers out of state. Don't let a long drive scare you off..

Hope some of this helps.. :thumbup:

10. singlescrewshaker

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Lol, my double post, or the Gov't getting emission exempt!! :D

Tug & JPMACK told me about the exemption.

+I'd love to see another of the military spec shakers running around my neck of the woods.. LoL :cool:

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.