Need ecu pinout for 15 VNL 670 Coolant Level Sensor

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by simonsocm, Jun 21, 2020.

1. simonsocm

simonsocm Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2019
    Will do, unlike some people I do a pretrip and post trip pretty religiously. With something like this I'll be checking it throughout the day. Thanks for the help

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. simonsocm

simonsocm Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2019
    Just wanted to update this for anyone else if they run into the same issue. I had an intermittent short in one of the wires in the engine harness that caused the coolant level sensor to freak out and would occasionally throw a stop engine light on the dash. It's gotten progressively worse so I decided to do something about it.

I bought 30 ft of 16ga wire (18ga is factory for the sensor and 2x 13ft sections would be fine), 15 ft of 1/4" plastic conduit/loom, a roll of 3M electrical tape (don't skimp on this, 3M tape works 100x better than the cheap #### at the truck stops), and a 2 pin weatherpack connector (male and female with pins and weatherpack plugs).

I unplugged the X11 connector above the ECM, cut off like 4-5 zip ties and started cutting back the wrap volvo used on the harness. I removed the black plastic cover of the back of the connector and used a multimeter to double check which wires in the connector are the right ones (don't skip this, the picture does not show the connector in the position you think it does). I then cut the wires a bit further back from the plug outlet so I could attach a 2 pole weatherpack connector for ease of install and diagnosing later. Once the one side of the weatherpack connector was on the two wires I re-wrapped the section of harness with electrical tape and plugged the X11 connector back in and ziptied it back up. I then got the new 2 wire harness together with the other side of the weatherpack connector on one side and the plug for the sensor on the other, all wrapped in plastic loom and electrical taped. I then just ran the new 2 wire harness and ziptied it up on the older harness going under the radiator fan shroud and plugged it in.

Double checked functionality by disconnecting it and starting to make sure I got a check engine light then reconnecting to ensure it went away. Works great, no issues.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    Snailexpress and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.