Need flush APU mounts (I need my catwalk)

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by F4T6UY, May 9, 2022.

1. CAXPT

CAXPT Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Michigan
    This is what I bought for mine, a while ago, when I was planning for a mount for a truck I'd planned to buy before those dreams were dashed. :)
    This is what's called a Chassis Grabber. Note the urethane inserts, which is what I figure was isolators...it may just be mounting purpose...but it appeared to do both from my POV. :)
    [​IMG]

YardMule89, Vampire, cke and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    600 lb weight per set, plenty of capacity.

Hmmmm, when redoing my boxes ill keep these in mind

Blue jeans, cke, F4T6UY and 1 other person Thank this.
  4. CAXPT

CAXPT Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Michigan
    I picked these up, I think at Joplin Petro when I got them. Hefty price, but seemed like the way to go for whatever I needed it to handle (toolbox, APU, etc) and not be destructive of the vehicle in case I needed to move the item with me. Still was a company driver when I bought it, and thought about mounting it with a box for some of the securement I was carrying, that way when I left it all went with me. I had the frame space on the truck I had in mind, and that way I could test it out for one I wanted to get. :(

Vampire, cke and F4T6UY Thank this.
  5. skallagrime

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    4 state has individuals at 120ish$ ea.
    Iowa 80 $264 set

Also comes in an option for holes parallel to frame

cke, F4T6UY and CAXPT Thank this.
  6. CAXPT

CAXPT Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Michigan
    Well I got them well over 4 years ago, so that may have something to do with the price increase. :) I think I paid $120, for the pair. I'd have to look up the receipt to be sure.

cke and F4T6UY Thank this.
  7. skallagrime

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Personally i dont NEED those, but then again, ive got a mag drill. Wish i had a welder. :p

Got 4 different boxes, all with slightly different mounts, want to standardise (both boxes and mounts)

cke, F4T6UY and CAXPT Thank this.
  8. CAXPT

CAXPT Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Michigan
    Got the welder. :)

cke Thanks this.
  9. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia

You need a few pieces of this 1/2” conveyor belt I have. Strong and makes good noise reducing washers…..

YardMule89, cke, beastr123 and 2 others Thank this.
  10. beastr123

beastr123 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN
    2 layers of found rubber mudflap works too.

Blue jeans, YardMule89, cke and 3 others Thank this.
  11. F4T6UY

F4T6UY Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Very South Texas
    So, just updating; get ready for some backyard welding, and feel free to point out something if it’s structurally foul.

I originally just wanted to mount my catwalk, but I have a 3 door headache cabinet for when I grow up and run open deck. So the the challenge turned to also being able to lay the support arms for the rack on the frame and slide the u-bolts down the frame. So now I had to also space the APU and the toolbox away from the frame since I don’t have a lot of wheelbase/real estate to just slide things back.

First, we had to remove the stack and make some sort of weed burner setup. I didn’t want to run open pipes and have loud jakes, so I bought a shorty muffler (it’s only about a foot long)….I shoulda saved that $80. I knew better. I’ll have to figure out how to quiet her down later.

We ended dropping the APU about 3”, so lost that much clearance. Then we used the bolt holes in the frame for one side of the APU, and drilled a hole for the other side. We took the original C mounts, and welded them together so I could reach the mounting slots on the bottom part of the APU wall. So that’s how we solved the APU mounting issue.

The toolbox/step is bolted to the bottom of the basic angle iron brackets with 2 pieces of flat iron welded across the back in order to bolt the bracket to the frame. It is holding up to my weight fine, but I’ll keep an eye on it and bolt the back of the box to the support piece if I notice it needs it. All that was flush to the frame. So all we did was get some 1” nuts for spacers, and took an old freightliner hood hinge bracket thingy (whatever it’s called) and cut it up and welded it to the bracket to run along the frame for support.

Now I can put my headache rack on when I’m ready.

upload_2022-6-23_11-8-19.jpeg
    upload_2022-6-23_11-8-57.jpeg
    upload_2022-6-23_11-9-20.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
    Blue jeans and CAXPT Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.