Need Help, company left wife and I stranded

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Stangug, Apr 2, 2023.

1. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    As much as I love my wife(married 37+ years), there is no way I would take her along in the truck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    That and it could happen for lots of reasons.

a medical issue or illness , an accident , you could trip and fall break your arm or any infection or illness .

If the truck is damaged in an accident and not drivable .

Could be a family emergency where you have to park and fly home ,

There’s lots of reasons to have an emergency Stash of cash or credit card.

I used to carry a few hundred in cash hidden In the truck .

All it takes is the internet to stop working for a few hours and no credit card readers ,
    If you don’t have some cash , you’re not thing anywhere .

as for the how people can drive for six years and not have any money saved nor a credit card , that’s just because they can’t keep up with their personal finances, and spend every dime they earn .

Last edited: Apr 2, 2023
  4. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    It is too late now, the OP has already flown home and is trying to drive back in their personal car, but why not rent a small U-haul? They rent without a credit card, are available 24/7 using their phone app and would have likely been no more costly than the flight home, gas for the car round trip and the hotel while waiting for him to get back to wherever the wife is stranded. Also plenty of room for the truck stuff, heck if you are that broke and desperate grab the mattress from the truck and camp out in the cargo box. Not ideal, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Also, I agree with Chinatown, they should have started by trying to obtain a new job with the new company picking up their transportation from wherever they were abandoned to orientation. If I were down to my last $100 I would be looking to go straight to work at another company, not try to fly home and all that jazz. Just my .02 cents for what it is worth.

As said before, and in this post above, this clearly illustrates why a small emergency fund is absolutely critical. At least $1,000 just to get home should something happen. What if they were in a crash and terminated, wife got sick and had to get home or any of a thousand other reasons? Never count on cash advances or support from your employer, it just isn't going to be there when needed.

Tb0n3, The Railsplitter, Hulld and 3 others Thank this.
  5. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    bzinger and Chinatown Thank this.
  6. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Ya someone needs to sit down after this and figure out why working hard for six years hasn’t produced a savings of at least 10k.

TequilaSunrise, Aamcotrans and Opus Thank this.
  7. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Or only has $100 in his wallet.....

bzinger Thanks this.
  8. gekko1323

gekko1323 Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Henderson, NV
    I'll do you one better. If a company is routing you to the terminal, park the truck until they pay you and THEY arrange for transportation. If not, deadhead home.

Opus Thanks this.
  9. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    It's not unheard of. Some people legit don't have actual credit cards, only bank debit cars. Car rental places can be hesitant to rent to someone without a credit card, as it's considered more secure. Thus explanation is coming from someone that I know used to work for Hertz. Whether OP is lying, I can't say. I'm only saying it's not unheard of.

10. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    Either of those would have been immediately edited out or the entire post deleted.

REO6205 and Concorde Thank this.
  11. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    Or to rent cars or purchase air line tickets and hotels for dogs and wives.. Having a credit card doesn't mean you have to use a credit card for anything BUT these situations.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.