Need help finding work due to ticket

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by adiablushing, Dec 6, 2022.

1. adiablushing

adiablushing Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Yeah my attorney and I talked after the fact and we agreed it was obvious that the judge seemed annoyed that I even dared to contest the ticket. I talked to the CEO of my company and begged for my job I'm waiting to hear back from him. I know I am absolutely an asset to this company. I frequently end up rescuing loads that other drivers have screwed up. He is supposed to be getting back with me to see if there is any wiggle room with safety on this. But right now it looks like I will be picking up a load here in Minnesota and taking it straight down to Texas to deliver and then turn in my truck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Only in really rare circumstances will a carrier tell a driver they are fired when they get back to a terminal. Some drivers can sense the firing based on their actions and their knowledge of company policy. Honestly most of the time you are routed back to a terminal and called inside with no heads up. So take this as a good sign if they are allowing you to operate. Carriers a long time ago learned to never do this. @REO6205 and @Ridgeline manage trucks as do several other members here. My father told me once of a JB Hunt driver at an Arizona Petro truckstop who was told the company had fired him and ordered him to stay in the truckstop. It turns out the driver drove the truck about 20 miles out in the desert and left it then got a ride out and to the bus station. Then got on a bus in Phoenix and went home. As I understand the story this was before QC and GPS location. It took JB Hunt about 2 weeks to find their equipment. I know other stories about drivers damaging trucks and loads after being told they were fired when out. They simply rarely do it anymore. So this might well be a good sign.

4. adiablushing

Feb 12, 2012
    Oklahoma
    He specializes in Cdl. I spoke with multiple attorneys about this case including ooida's recommended attorney. They all told me the same thing that the particular county I got the ticket in Kansas is really difficult to work with. That they typically do not negotiate on CDL tickets because they are interpreting a masking law incorrectly. My understanding is the success rate of getting a ticket overturned in that particular county is extremely low. My attorney had a ticket in that same county for a CDL holder last week and it was overturned because the state trooper didn't show up for court.

silverspur Thanks this.
  5. PaulMinternational

PaulMinternational Heavy Load Member

Aug 23, 2022

Don’t know how it is there but my attorney says you will almost always be found guilty in the district court, so be prepared to plead to lesser offense or be ready to take it the next step. So far he has been spot on and kept me out of trouble since the 80’s

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    To the OP, it is all about the insurance company and their willingness to allow this to remain within the fleet with an increase in rates. I have two drivers who we actually had our lawyer arrange a good lawyer to fight the tickets, it was all on the dash cam but the judge (one in NJ and one in Illinois) said nope, got to pay. I worked it out with the underwriter that there will be an increase cost but they also said the driver will have to go through a refresher course before they return to work in the fleet.

What bothers me is this idea that a licensed (read experienced) professional driver can't tell the judge or considered an expert witness in court about stopping distance, what crap is that??

7. adiablushing

Feb 12, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Yeah when the DA objected to my lawyers line of questioning about stopping distance needed for a 77,000 lb semi going down hill it took all I had not to lose my temper when the judge agreed. I probably shouldn't have but I did add that those kind of questions are exactly the kind of questions that are on the written portion of a CDL drive exam. Smh guess I'm just a dumb trucker in their eyes.

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  8. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Only you know the truth, I'm not here to judge but it would suck if you were not speeding, if there was a history of persons being ticketed by the same officer with the same radar gun, that all had impeccable records you may have a good case, although one does have to question if paying $2000 is really worth it, what was the original fine worth? Perhaps there's stuff here that you've left out, like they often say there are often three sides to the truth yours, theirs, and the truth. Then again people often have impeccable records simply because they've been let off the hook by a traffic officer, or have the money to pay an attorney to get them off.

9. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Whatever happens on this, please let us know how things turned out. We have a couple of members who are good at finding jobs for otherwise unemployable drivers.
    Your thread is a good object lesson in how quickly things can turn bad for an otherwise good driver. We appreciate your honesty and your candor.

10. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    IMHO there are 2 courses of action with any moving violation
    In this case Kansas...among others...where it’s treated somewhat like a criminal case...ie district attorney in courtroom...Make appt with prosecutors..,and make a deal..,they’re only interested in the $$$...your license and insurance is irrelevant to them.... they’ll almost always reduce it to something non moving and hit you for the same fine and additional court costs...still well worth it and way cheaper than a mouthpiece
    The 2d way.....worx very well in any smaller less populated municipality
    PAY the ticket immediately if not sooner....Amazing how the paperwork seems to disappear when the local/county govt doesn’t have to share it with the state
    Ask me how I know
    Good luck

11. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Man....you caught a tough break. Kansas is filled with back roads that can go from 65 to 35 without that yellow warning sign to prepare you for a change of speed. What did they clock you at? If it's under 20 over, then you'll be able to work somewhere. It may not be the most glamorous of companies but you have some options. There is the aforementioned Western Express. I'd try Covenant Transport if it were me. I don't know if it's still the case but I've heard guys with baggage get on with them before. I would just apply everywhere and make each company tell me no. It only takes 1 yes.

Lennythedriver Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.