Need help from my Trucking family

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Thattrucker73, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Thattrucker73

Thattrucker73 Bobtail Member

Nov 23, 2016
    Sandusky Ohio
    My blood pressure been high so now I'm on bp meds,problem is that when I check my bp it's great but twice when I went to renew my dot card my bp spikes to like 156/92 or a little higher . what can I do to stay calm and not get anxiety when take my physical .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Get there early and relax. Carry a note that says "I will not talk until after blood pressure measurement. I will wait 5 minutes before you test my BP. Medical protocol requires 5 minutes of inactivity & no talking BEFORE BP measurement."

LGarrison Thanks this.
  4. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    No caffien or nicotin. Try and get a good night sleep. Then try not to stress on the test that much. Think of something you like doing.

Thattrucker73 and Bfr38 Thank this.
  5. LGarrison

LGarrison Road Train Member

May 19, 2011
    Sandpoint Idaho
    Try to drink a lot of water before hand flush out your system

Pintlehook, Thattrucker73 and Bfr38 Thank this.
  6. Bfr38

Bfr38 Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Ohio
    You might need to get on some anxiety meds. I assume there just testing for drugs. Find out for sure. I have the same problem I always get worked up and my Bp is through the roof. Eat a banana before, or anything with potassium will help. Get a Xanex, or Ativan, Klonopin, etc... Last time I went in I took a Xanex to calm me. Mine was 110/82. Your bp isn't great, but it's def not bad 120/80 is normal. The main number they worry about is your body number. I had a anxiety attack years ago. Mine was 195/110. That's a heart attack, or stroke in the making. I was a three sport athlete in H.S went onto college for sports, etc... You don't have to be over weight, etc... A lot of times its genetics, but you just get worked up. Cut back on your salt the night before you go, get plenty of potassium, cut the smoking if u smoke like the guy up there mentioned, take a pill to relax u if u need it, get a good nights sleep, and just remember they have seen all kinds of numbers good and bad. Your not dying. Think of positive thoughts. Deep breaths inside and out. Concentrate on ur breathing, etc... I feel your pain. Best of luck to you!

Thattrucker73 Thanks this.
  7. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    Try taking your BP meds an hour or so before you go to the Dr.

NavigatorWife, Thattrucker73 and Bfr38 Thank this.
  8. Bfr38

Bfr38 Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Ohio
    Bottom number

Thattrucker73 Thanks this.
  9. Thattrucker73

Nov 23, 2016
    Sandusky Ohio
    Thanks for all the advice.

Bfr38 Thanks this.
  10. quitter

quitter Light Load Member

Jan 30, 2012
    San Juan Capistrano, ca
    It sounds like you have "white coat Syndrome". I don't know if this will work for you, but it worked quite well for me, it is similar to Buddhist Meditation I am told. First of all close your mouth, breath only through nose. I am not sure if everyone can learn this, but you need to remove all thoughts from your brain, turn your brain off. When I first started to practice this I used counting, 1000, 1001 and focused on only the counting, later on I worked up to no thoughts at all. I know it might sound stupid, but for me it was amazing. You can buy a device to measure your blood pressure for fairly cheap, and lots of drug stores have them, good to practice the technique.

NavigatorWife, Bfr38 and Thattrucker73 Thank this.
  11. Thattrucker73

Nov 23, 2016
    Sandusky Ohio
    Will practice that technique.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.