Need help from the winter driving experts

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Dadetrucking305, Apr 1, 2023.

1. Dadetrucking305

Dadetrucking305 Heavy Load Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Cibolo,Texas
    So most states are out of winter already and enjoying spring but unfortunately we’re I’m at it’s still winter lol and the weather changes from one day to the next.I’m currently hauling frac sand in the oil field and as everyone knows that work is around the clock and doesn’t stop for weather.So my question is what are you experts advice on driving on icy roads?
    I know most will say to not drive and I have parked it and lost a whole week of worth because of it.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2023
    trucknguy and austinmike Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oor

Oor Road Train Member

Jan 11, 2012
    Do everything slow and smooth. You really have to be thinking way ahead of the truck.

Drive what conditions allow on the straightaways, gradually slow ahead of the curves and tiptoe around.

Most days, just going slow and driving wherever you can find traction will do, but there will still be those days where the road can turn into a sheet of ice and it doesn't matter what you do, the wind will just push you off the road, even at a dead stop.

A winter spent in the Dakotas and Minnesota will give you the experience needed. If you get the chance, take your personal car out on a frozen lake and practice skids, great fun. Find a local to take you, he'll know where the safe ice is.

bzinger, surf_avenue, Bean Jr. and 4 others Thank this.
  4. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    I really think confidence is huge. If you know how to act, and react, the winter driving is no biggie. I don't even think about weather when it comes to where I will and won't go.

Except I-80 in Wyoming. They'll shut that sheet down so fast. Never WYO-I80 in winter

bzinger, Bean Jr., JoeyJunk and 4 others Thank this.
  5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I think your question is more of an oilfield question, not a weather/road question if you understand what I'm trying to say. I'd get answers from other drivers in your oil patch since they see what you see rather than drivers all over the country who pull everything but what you haul and where you haul it. Back in the day, since everyone had a CB you could get good info/help from those around you. Now everyone is on the internet and the internet is better/worse in many ways.

surf_avenue, JoeyJunk and lual Thank this.
  6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

My short advice for driving on ise/snow is drive like you have no brakes. Accelerate slowly, say FAR back from anyone in front of you. In fact, stay so far back that you can lift your foot off the "gas pedal" and never touch the brakes and "coast" to a stop without safely. I'm using "coast" to mean stay in gear and let the weight slow you down. Touching the brakes is ALMOST an emergency only tactic. If you start to think you MIGHT need to brake, brake lightly NOW and create even more following distance so you can "coast" to a stop before you get to where the obstacle/vehicle ahead is at. Do everything, steer, accelerate, slow VERY SLOWLY. You can easily spin out accelerating too fast as you can by trying to make a panic stop. Imagine waling on smooth ice in tennis shoes. You go very slow and you make VERY GRADUAL changes to your speed and direction. NOTHING is done quickly or harshly. If you don't knwo what to do, go slower. Be the last person to speed up and see what those in a hurry to speed up have to do 15 seconds after they speed up too much. They slow down.

Opus, Oor, JoeyJunk and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Dadetrucking305

Dadetrucking305 Heavy Load Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Cibolo,Texas
    I
    I’m in North Dakota and spent the winter here.Was also here from 2011-2014 and drove a Hydrovac truck in all sorts of weather back then but a straight truck acts a lot different than this truck with a trailer.
    Actually got the truck out of a trailer jackknife when I was coming up on a light in New Town and the road was icy.It was the first oh crap monument for me because when it started to go it felt like everything I did was not working and finally it did work.

JoeyJunk and Moosetek13 Thank this.
  8. mud23609

mud23609 Medium Load Member

Mar 9, 2015
    Go slow. Hang iron when needed. When needed means before you get into a bad situation. It's a whole lot easier to chain up before you get stuck or jackknife a rig.

tscottme, JoeyJunk, lual and 1 other person Thank this.
  9. NH Guy

NH Guy Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2023
    Dont be afraid to chain. No such thing as too slow when driving on ice.

10. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    1 Good drives . I always preferred open shoulder tires with lots of micro sipes on them….

2 full set of chains and full lockers…..

3 tow strap or chain and robust tow hook

11. NH Guy

NH Guy Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2023
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.