need help getting a start as a freight broker agent

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Off the road, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Off the road

Off the road Bobtail Member

Jan 15, 2014
    hi I am researching to be a freight broker agent, I have trucking exp 1 year otr,5 years ltl and 1 year dispatch I also have business sales and customer service experience from my marine detail business of 15 years I just sold. I have no problem cold calling customers and hearing no 40 -50 times a day I am looking for a brokerage that will train on the job remotely Any ideas? thanks in advance

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    Most brokerages want someone that has their own customers and a strong truck following. I don't know of any that provide OTJ training. Good Luck

Off the road Thanks this.
  4. mickey melon

mickey melon Medium Load Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Chicago,Il
    What do ya need training for?
    Sounds like you hit a homerun already with your experience......

If you can Cold Call....You can Borker....Yes,i used the term borker.

And heres some advice also......

Customers dont want the whole "Dog and Pony Show" routine either......They want service and fair pricing..THATS IT!!

dont start sending over your sales associates with all kind of Paraphenalia to Butter their Buns with........These people dont have the time, Nor are tired of the 'promises' with boxes full of Calenders and Chocolates

Less talk and More action will get you the Best..And Biggest shippers/Buyers around

5. Vipfam7

Vipfam7 Bobtail Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Granite Falls, NC
    Thousands of broker and agents...that one poster is right we all offer the same thing. You have to prove and make yourself standout from the rest...not to sound cheesy but, under promise and over deliver and you will get the clients.

6. Jokingypsy

Jokingypsy Medium Load Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    Don't forget you will have to sell your soul to the devil, and learn to lie like a career politician, and don't forget the fewer and inaccurate the details the better. Also, if both the shipper and the truck owner are both happy and satisfied, you are doing something totally wrong. Good luck!

7. Vipfam7

Vipfam7 Bobtail Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Granite Falls, NC
    You can succeed with out doing that. Just don't attempt to hit a home run every time you help carriers and shippers.

8. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    Without a book of business you are likely going to need to become a sub-agent for someone. So the commissions get thin. But you have to start some place.

So if you the Agent is getting 50-70% and you are getting 60% (just some average numbers I have seen) then on a week with a total of $5k in total margin you will be seeing about $2k. But it takes a while to build up to that.

Also, when you are looking at building up your book of business remember that you want to be building that from customer that you generate. For example, if you became a sub-agent for me and you built your business with my customers you would have nothing when you looked to go on your own. But if they are your customers then you "own" the book of business.

If you are looking at going this way I would look for an agent that is part of an asset company. Much hard to even talk to a shipper if you are just a broker and don't have assets behind you.

You will also want a company that can do pricing for you. One of the biggest mistakes I have seen with new brokers is they price things too low to win the business. My saying here is I would rather have 2 loads that pay well than 10 that are marginal.

9. NHS

NHS Light Load Member

Nov 26, 2012
    I agree with Bill. If you don't have a book of business you most likely will have to work under another agent, at least initially (for a year maybe) before the will set you free. Like anything though there are exceptions, some brokrages might be willing to substitute your experience and start you out by yourself.

One thing I would recommend before joining up with anyone (agent or sub-agent) is checking the credit rating and the average days to pay of the brokerage you are thinking about. Most of the prominent ones you won't have to worry about, but if you are unfamiliar with a brokerage, the last thing you'd want to do is sign on only to find out they drag their feet in paying their freight bills or their agents.

Also you want to check and see how many agents work for the brokerage you are looking at joining. Even if you will be starting at a sub agent, you want to make sure when you are on your own you will have room to grow and get new customers. If you have a book of business or a list of potential customers, ask to see if any of those customers are clients of other agents.

BigBadBill Thanks this.
  10. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    And to add to NHS, how large is the approved carrier base. It takes time getting a carrier approved with any operation and if you are doing that several times a day that will take a way from selling.

11. Haulin702

Haulin702 Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2014
    Believe it or not I heard this from a former company i worked under and have heard it from other brokers.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.