Need HELP with long term storage for truck and trailer!

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by shakerclassic, Nov 11, 2018.

1. shakerclassic

shakerclassic Bobtail Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Hello all, I have a 99 freightliner classic with 6nz cat I bought a little over a year ago and it's been great. I love this truck. It and the trailer are both paid for. However business has fallen off for me (small time excavation company) and I've had to resort to driving for someone else moving equipment. I would love to do this for my self in the future but I just couldn't swing the for hire insurance and apportioned tag and all that to get started. Kinda ate into our savings trying to keep the dirt business alive which I now regret doing. My wife and I have been back and forth whether to sell the truck and trailer now or to park it (maybe use on occasion) and save our money up to get the for hire insurance and tag to start on our own. My main concern is leaving the truck parked for an extended period of time and trying to figure out if it's ok and what I need to do. Any help would be more than appreciated.

Rideandrepair and A5¢ Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Fill the fuel tanks to the top.
    Install a battery maintainer or pull them out and store them inside on a pallet where they wont freeze.
    Moth balls around every tire about an inch apart and some inside wont hurt either to keep out the rodents. Clean out the cab and make sure theres nothing edible inside.
    Antifreeze protection check to -40*.
    Backing off all the brakes may not be a bad idea so they dont rust to the drums.

All these items can be very different severity wise depending on your location.

4. shakerclassic

Jun 10, 2018
    I'm down in MS about as cold as it gets here I'd say maybe a few days down to about 20-25 but out winters usually average about 35-40. The brakes are great that didn't even cross my mind to do that. Along with the batteries. The truck would be parked at my house where it is now and I was thinking I would crank it about every 3-4 weeks. If I don't do that though is there anything you could think of I would need to do for the motor?

5. A5¢

A5¢ Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2017
    With filling the fuel tanks, and fuel stabilizer. An algaecide would also reduce the chance of coodies growing.

Rideandrepair and spsauerland Thank this.
  6. shakerclassic

Jun 10, 2018
    Would I need to run it for a bit with that in the tanks to get it circulated in the motor? Also about how long would be "too long" for it to sit? I'm worried with it sitting some problems might arise with it. That could have been prevented from it not sitting.

7. A5¢

A5¢ Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Do what goodysnap mentioned and you should be just fine. Yes, put in the addative/algaecide and go for a nice ride to get it circulated through the system. FPPF makes some very good products for fuel systems.
    The addative will protect the fuel for several months. That is a fine looking rig you have. I hope you can make it work for you. I used to haul heavy equipment. Always something different to chain down.

8. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    I wouldn't worry about the engine very much. Some say start it often, but I think unless your gonna work it just leave it off. Short bursts of idling once a year arnt gonna do any good IMO. When you do get it out from storage, get it good and hot and change the oil right away to rid any condensation and get the old oil out. Grease her up good before and after too.

Rideandrepair, spsauerland and A5¢ Thank this.
  9. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    I wouldn't worry about how long it sits, my dad left his fld 120 sit for about 10 years before he put it back on the road.

A5¢ and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  10. shakerclassic

Jun 10, 2018
    Did he do anything special to the truck before he parked it or when he was getting ready to go back on the road?

11. shakerclassic

Jun 10, 2018
    Thank you very much! That's one of the reasons I don't really want to get rid of the truck it is my favorite and I am #### proud of it. Yeah it needs a little love here and there but it's only got 612K on the clock. I would like to get some shorter stacks on it though they find every single limb running down some 2 lane highway.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.