Need help with new interstate and intrastate trucking

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Nhtjoe, Apr 20, 2024.

1. Nhtjoe

Nhtjoe Bobtail Member

Apr 20, 2024
    Looking for some assistance from you experienced Truckers. I've had a DOT number for many years and intrastate only. I've added a second truck that needs to cross state lines. So I have to dive into the interstate Trucking rules and regulations. Looking for some advice. It's a 2013 so I need an ELD I guess? And one truck will stay local and will not cross state line so I'm wondering if I should create a new DOT number for the interstate truck? The interstate truck will not really have a home base as it will be moved from state to state for jobs. We do not haul Commerce, this is a work truck that only hauls our equipment. Please some input would be much appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    Yes, for the truck traveling out of state. Local truck wont need an ELD if you're within 150 mile radius

No, both trucks will run under the same DOT numbers. They both belong to the same company that the DOT number is registered to.
    You will need to add all the states that you will be running that truck in, to your current authority/DOT registration. Both trucks will be allowed to run those states, but dont have to. So, the local truck will be apportioned for those states but will only run in state.
    Most people just add all lower 48 states... just in case but you dont have to. If you know you will only be going to 3 or 4, or even 10 states, you can just add those states if you'd prefer. Again, most people just add all 48, just in case.

Incorrect. The home base is where the office & records are kept. No matter where the truck goes, its home office is where the records are kept.

I'm not the expert, so I welcome any corrections to any incorrect info, from the pros.

88 Alpha Thanks this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    what kind of truck?

5. Nhtjoe

Nhtjoe Bobtail Member

Apr 20, 2024
    International workstar 7600 Crane truck, has a knuckle boom crane on it. It weighs about 60,000 lb.
    So what is entailed in an Interstate Trucking Authority? I think the state has to do an inspection on maintenance records Etc?

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Talk to your state. They have a trucking association that should help. I have a utility owned pole company down the road from my office and I know they do not have an interstate authority, and they go three states.

wis bang Thanks this.
  7. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    2X
    Your state motor truck assn should be able to direct you to someone local who can answer these questions correctly.

8. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    If the other truck is intrastate only I doubt it has IRP registration, probably just a regular commercial plate, might not even have authority to begin with

Grumppy Thanks this.
  9. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    Thank you for bringing that up. I actually wondered about that. I've never registered a commercial vehicle for local use only. I wondered about that.
    I just wasn't sure if he was running just USDOT numbers or if he already had his MC numbers... or, like you brought up, anything at all. I was just assuming he already had his USDOT numbers for local stuff.

88 Alpha Thanks this.
  10. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Last employer I was at based in Texas, had ‘TX DOT’ numbers, and ‘US DOT’ numbers on the trucks. Operated in NM, OK, and TX. Did not have IFTA stickers.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.