Need help with paperless logs!!!!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TruckersGirl36, Mar 5, 2014.

1. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    If I'm not mistaken, a carrier has to supply a card to explain to LEOs how to do certain things if records are needed to be requisitioned. This won't help the "which line do I use" questions, but it may help answer a few things. But I agree with the previous poster who said a log class is needed here.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. airforcetoo

airforcetoo Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Up in the air
    that's why I wrote "I guess" ;) ... but I met a few Marten drivers too & they all say it ain't the company it used to be ... but I guess none of them are

4. airforcetoo

airforcetoo Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Up in the air
    I'm kinda lost here ... so I plead the Fifth?!?!

... still lost ...

5. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    'nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself'
    Probably this part.

By filling out a log book I am providing documentation that could be used in a criminal case against me, in effect me being a witness against myself.

Yet, if I log correctly and legally such would not be the case except to verify my own truthfulness.
    If I have been cooking the books, well, that is another matter.

People who plead the 5th usually have something to hide.

6. rambler

rambler Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2007
    A key point in this "incriminating one's self" by using a logbook is being lost here. Trucking is a federally regulated commerce and has laws pertaining to how it is to be operated, if you want to participate in the business. It has absolutely nothing to do with any personal rights being violated.

To the OP, best of luck and the hubby really really should have had a better grasp on how logs work before starting. I know thats a moot statement at this point. Anything he is uncertain about when trying to figure out how to log should be addressed to the compliance (log) person at the company. That's what they are there for and it's their job.

Moosetek13 Thanks this.
  7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    i don't see big roads taking over. i see big roads going down. cuz all big roads can do is logs. it can 't do dispatch.

8. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN

Does any part of you think the corporation Qualcomm is going out if business?? They do more than electric logs.

9. notmycbhandle

notmycbhandle Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2014
    Cowtown
    Really? Look at that fancy hunk of plastic attached to your dash it does email, that's all dispatches really are on these newer systems and you can get that on a smart phone by default, GPS nav? Comes built into any decent smart phone. Real-time truck monitoring comes built into the new trucks. Pretty much anything your satelitte can do so can your smart phone including interface with your truck(s) (Volvo's fleet management app for iphone for example is here https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/dynafleet/id508373365?mt=8 ) So toss in Big Road and why do we need that silly plastic box again? The way I see it in the next 5-10 years Peoplenet, Qualcomm and other similar satalitte trackers will be in trouble.

The big upside is with email via smart phone for your dispatch you can have a cleaner dispatch that looks something like this:

Instead of having a bunch of extra stuff in other messages with additional information about procedures at various stops clogging up your inbox, you get 1 message containing all your basic info and the Additional Notes is actually a link to a webpage that contains all the specifics for that particular customer eg must slide axles or bring donuts or whatever. Unlike the satelitte system now being used which sends every scrap of info with the dispatch even if you've been there 6 times this month. It can also include a last updated stamp on the hyperlink so at a glance the driver can tell if there's been a policy change since their last visit and be up to date before getting there and going wth?!?

10. Ubu

Ubu Road Train Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Rumored to be somewhere
    Apps like Big Roads and Drivers Daily Logs are just E-Logs, they are not the same as a EOBR like Qualcomm or Peoplenet that tie into the trucks ECM port, starts logging automatically when the truck is moved, and has two way communication with an office back-end for dispatching and verification.

If the Feds will mandate anything it will be EOBR's, not E-Logs (just look at the legislation they already passed for proof of this) as it is just as easy to fake a log using an application like Big Roads or Drivers Daily Logs as it is with a paper log.

E-Logs are just an electronic way of paper logging, not the same thing as an EOBR at all. The Fed's will insure that services like Qualcomm are not going anywhere.

11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Nope wrongo. you are twisting that around. it is a requirement to drive as an interstate commerce driver in federal regulations as adopted by the states to make a unified (simple) regulations for interstate commerce. There is no constitutional question about keeping logs.

When it is used to inspect the driver's actions, it can be used as evidence of a violation of a regulation which is not criminal.

The fifth doesn't apply. this is not a court of law, so rules of evidence isn't applied.

These regulations are not enforced by a federal officer which really is only the US marshals technically speaking but the states enforce these regulations and can fine you but not criminally charge you.

To the OP, I would tell you better half to contact the company and have them explain it to him. It is their responsibility to make sure that he understands how it works. UNTIL then I would keep paper logs and send them in - telling them they it doesn't work the way he was told how it was supposed to work.

tsavory Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.