Need help with selecting trailer length

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by gkmissingca, Oct 22, 2017.

1. gkmissingca

gkmissingca Light Load Member

Feb 18, 2017
    I modified a firetruck and I'll be hauling small cargo trailers. My truck-tractor is 26' long (minus bumper). I have 7.5' of rear deck to mount my 26k 5th wheel hitch. I'm guessing at some point I'll be off the national network which I'm also guessing my max should be 65'? So 65-26=39. Add 4' or so for mounting/clearance for a total of 44'? Am I on the right track? Do I need to ask the company more questions about where they ship to? Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Sounds cool. Got pics?

SAR Thanks this.
  4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    What kind of work are you looking for? Problem I see with this setup is if it's an enclosed trailer you will basically be moving the air twice. Will be killer on fuel.
    As for the question, likely a 28' pup would be best. If it's enclosed that is, not a huge amount of options unless you spend money on a custom job. If it's a flatbed though, all sorts of options.

5. gkmissingca

Feb 18, 2017
    Sorry, let me clarify. I'll be hauling small cargo trailers on a large trailer such as a wedge. I know on national networks I'll be fine, just off NN is my big concern.

Attached Files:

Maj. Jackhole, nax and not4hire Thank this.
  6. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    That is really cool.

gkmissingca Thanks this.
  7. BlackThought

BlackThought Medium Load Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Memphis,TN
    That's a coolass ride

gkmissingca Thanks this.
  8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    The coolness aside, you are missing a really important part of this thing - does it still have the same drive train and engine in it that was intended for a firetruck?

Maj. Jackhole Thanks this.
  9. gkmissingca

Feb 18, 2017
    Yes and no. Original gears were 4.11 on hard rubber mounts. I now have 3.55's on air with the possibility to go higher numerically. The trans isn't the best setup, but I only paid $10k for the whole thing with 18k miles. I'll have about $20k invested. Assuming I can scrap/ part out the rest, the truck itself will be almost free. And let's not forget the tires are like new, that's a chunk of change too. Ideally all of this will offset fuel costs at least in the short term. Original mpg was 5.5 @54k lbs. I've shed 36.5k, and will pick up 12-15k with my load. Also have switched to aluminum wheels, and the frontal area of this isn't much more than the hood/grill area of a regular semi. Probably the biggest change I hope to make are a different version of the same trans, and gears.

not4hire Thanks this.
  10. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Nice!

Does the traffic light priority device still work? ;)

11. gkmissingca

Feb 18, 2017
    Ha! No I disabled it for my own best interest.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.