Need info about the laws

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Bosya, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Bosya

Bosya Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2017
    Hi. So I have a complicated situation and I have tried to ask a few people and can't seem to get a straight answer. Customs said ask the DMV, DMV said ask a lawyer and etc. So here is the breakdown.

My wife and I moved from Canada to Florida a few months ago. We came here on a TN visa and I got a TD Visa which basically says I can legally live in the US but not work here, so in the meantime I went and got my cdl Class a. Which is fine. Originally I was suppose to get a temp work visa but that fell through for the next several months. So now I have a CDL no Visa to work. So now my question is can I work for a canadian company that drives to and from Florida with my cdl or do I have to redo everything again in Canada. Does anyone know how this all works ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    This is how I understand it works.

You can't use your CDL for anything. You have no legal work permit here, even though you may be eligible for residency, you can not work here period.

Your best bet is get an immigration lawyer who can get it straight for you. YOU need someone to work with you to get through the requirements to get the green card.

4. Bosya

Bosya Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2017
    Hi. I know I'm not allowed to work, I have only a resident permit. My question is can my cdl work in Ontario Canada to work for a canadian company doing cross borders

5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    The way to do it
    You have your home base in Ontario or whatever part of Canada
    You get a regular run to somewhere near where you want to park it down there
    You park your truck at a storage place or somewhere you have an agreement to keep it DON'T just use anyplace,
    You take a few days off then do a run to Canada and then turn and burn back to near your place...repeat

Because you are trucking it doesn't count against the 4 month limit to visiting the USA before you need to do extra paperwork. Just don't abuse it and you should be fine. Abuse as in only do 1 run back home per month, they will catch on to that.

Not easy, but it has been done before.

6. Bosya

Bosya Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2017
    Hi thank you for the information. Do you know if I can use my Florida CDL class A with a Ontario company or would I have to redo everything again over there. My plan is to be 5 days on the road and only Saturday and Sunday Home.

7. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I have no idea about that. I think you should have asked about this before you went and made it a big covfefe.
    For 5 days on and 2 days off you could totally do it the way I suggested and you'd always be legit. Would be no different than taking a load here and waiting the weekend to take the next one back.

Ruthless Thanks this.
  8. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    So, you're a Canadian citizen, but a U.S. resident with a U.S. driver's licence.

That should not be a problem to work for a Canadian company. So long as you follow the cabotage rules just the same as if you were living in Canada you should be golden.

The carrier's insurance might have a concern over the U.S. driver's licence, but honestly, it really shouldn't be an issue. Canadians do drive for U.S. carriers and Americans drive for Canadian carriers, so it is done. Yours has another slight twist, but not terribly unusual.

9. Bosya

Bosya Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2017
    I didn't expect all of this to happen.. We planned on getting all our paper work in August but now we are pushed on March of next year. I can't sit Home that long. So I would have no choice but to go back and work in Canada until everything is complete. I wanna keep everything totally legal so not to risk my greencard.. Do you know if I require any special papers or permits to do cross borders ?

10. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    You're asking people that may or may not have the legal answers you're looking for.

As mentioned above. An immigration lawyer is probably going to be your best bet. They do that sort of thing for a living and would know more then the rest of us.

11. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    How did you get a CDL without a green card? Something is amiss.

Never mind. I just read your post again. Souds like a job for Mr. Immigration lawyer. Good luck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.