Need INFO on Gordon Trucking

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by jeepkid7998, Feb 28, 2007.

1. jeepkid7998

jeepkid7998 Light Load Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Albany, Oregon
    Hey everyone,

I just applied at Gordon trucking and i need some info. After researching several company's online i have found that GTI best suits me. From the very few people i have spoken to they say its a great company but hard to get on with. I got no OTR experience. I have had my CDL for 7 yrs now and have been driving straight trucks during that time. Mostly garbage trucks and tankers so i do have experience with a gear box. I have a good stable work history, only 3 job changes in 7 years. No moving violations or suspensions in the past 4 years. Although in 2002 i got 3 moving violations which got my dl suspended 2 times for a 30 days each. So i guess my question is what are my chances? The recruiter makes it sound so easy. But talking to other drivers i get a different impression. Any help will be awesome.

Thanks
    David

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Joethemechanic

Joethemechanic Medium Load Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Phila Pa
    Why would you want to go from a good local job, to doing that OTR BS??? Stay with Trash, scrap , dumps, concrete, or a LTL company

4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Well, I gotta admit it. Sometimes when I see an OTR truck I get a little bit of an itch. I say to myself "Look at that guy. He gets to enjoy a couple hundred mile long ride with his load, and I have to do 13 deliveries today." But then I think about the 24 bucks an hour I make and all becomes well again.

5. jeepkid7998

Feb 28, 2007
    Albany, Oregon
    I'm TIRED of pushing garbage dumpsters in the rain. I have no family except for roommates. I'm at the point now where I have quite abit of money put away and I think its time todo something that I have always wanted todo. I have been doing ALOT of research.. going to a local truck stop and talking to GTI drivers.. and from what I have heard they LOVE working for there company. So I think I'm going to give it a try. I could always go back to what i know at a later date... It would be nice to get some GTI drivers on here to give me some insight. I'm shocked that out of the dang near dozen gti drivers that I have spoken to in the last couple months.. hardly any have much negative to say about the company.

6. speed_man13

speed_man13 Light Load Member

Jan 27, 2007
    Is this Gordon Trucking the one I am thinking of..... Deliveries for the Gordon Food Service Stores or am I greatly mistaken? I think if it is I would love to work for these guys cuz there a lot of local runs in my area.....can someone help me out with this?

7. Cynical Driver

Cynical Driver <strong>"Eternal Cynic"</strong>

Aug 27, 2006
    Wisconsin
    Gordon Trucking... Or GTI... They are the sky-bluish Columbia's with the frames painted the same blue color. What I was told is that they pretty much run the west, and mid-west. No East-coast. I was also told that they have pretty steep standards. I guess that with all these drivers agreeing with eachother that they'd be right. Also, when was the last time you saw a bent up GTI Truck?

As for miles, pay, etc... I can't really give you any info, but the ones I have talked with seemed very happy where they were. I am thinking about applying there myself when my term is up, as they have a terminal in Green Bay also.

8. jeepkid7998

Feb 28, 2007
    Albany, Oregon
    I was searching around on YouTube a while back and just for the heck of it i ran a search on Gordon Trucking. I found a couple vids from a guy who works for the company. I sent him a message inquiring about the company and below is his reply.

they're a good company to start out with. no complaints, other than i just don't like being away from home a night. i get by my house pretty often and if you want the miles, they'll give them to you. i can ask to be home when i want and they'll let me go home for a couple of days. they offer great benefits and you're given a nice truck to start out with. i drive a 2005 freightliner columbia and it's a condo. (double bunk, windows). where do you live? i'm in central California, and I'm based out of the turlock terminal. i just got back from pacific Washington today. quite a drive.

9. buck and a half

buck and a half Mr. Miles & Miles with Many Smiles

Aug 11, 2006
    madison,me
    I saw a Gordon trucking ad in one of the truckstop books,maybe the oo ones,I read the ad and I believe they are lease purchase type jobs,the trucks in the pic were alll pastel colors like green,blue etc. don't know anything else about them though.

10. lvjeffro

lvjeffro Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2007
    GTI is based out of pacifica washington and are a very good company!!! Do not get me wrong they are not perfect but a safety oriented company that actually cares about the driver more then some companies do...Their pay to start is alot better then most...

My parents worked for them for 5 years up until 2000 when they decided to come in off the road...

Nice trucks, but hate the color

I tried to get on with them, but I was denied because I have been out of work for a year due to a table saw accident and they called it an unstable work history...3 jobs in 10 years with only this recent 1 year out of work due to an injury so they are picky in who they bring in to work for them...

11. jeepkid7998

Feb 28, 2007
    Albany, Oregon
    I got a few more questions here. I have been pre-hired and I'm set to start in a few months once i get some finances taken care of. I'm told ill be going up to Pacific, Wa on a Tuesday for an orientation, some paperwork, videos, and so on. This process is supposed to take 2 or more days and I'm supposed to be put up in a hotel. Once this is done I'm told ill head home to wait for a trainer to become available. How are they are pairing newbies with trainers?

After i get the call I'm told to expect to be out for at least 3 weeks. Then at the end of the training i guess i will have to take some more company tests back in pacific. What kind of test are these? I'm assuming they are drive test's. My recruiter did not go into much detail and he is a very hard man to get ahold of. At this point upon passing I'm told ill be assigned a truck and my first solo load. Now... once i got my own truck.. Do they usually let the new guys head home for a couple days? And.. do they allow drivers to take there trucks home? I do live in Portland but the clackamas terminal is approx 20 or 25 miles away. I'm sure ill learn all this stuff as i go but id like to know what to expect. I guess I'm just kinda excited. Oh and one last question... I guess right now GTI drivers are putting in approx 2,800 to 3,000 miles a week. What kind of weekly net pay should i expect?

Any info would be awesome.. thanks..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.