Need Lawyer in CA

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by xr7conv, Sep 8, 2007.

1. xr7conv

xr7conv Light Load Member

I know, I know I should not have gotten a ticket - should not have been speeding. No good excuse. Was driving south on I5 into LA area coming down hills. Had been coming down hills and speed limit had not changed. Then they change it to 40 for trucks and I am not paying attention. Got a ticket for 54 in a 40. Officer was polite just wrote the ticket didn't even check the log - which was current! He told me he wrote it down had me at over 60 - I don't think I was going that fast as I am new at this and very conservative - don't want to die or kill someone. I was just working with the gears and the jake brake to see what would hold what without brakeing too much or at all. Again - not making an excuse cause I didn't see the limit change. Just an idiot.

Anyway, I want to check with a lawyer in the area and see if this is worth fighting. Don't want the points and the insurance cost forever. What a racket this is. If it just didn't affect insurance I would pay it and learn from it. But car insurance is crazy already with a 16 year old male driver at home.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tammytell

tammytell Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2007
    tulsa,ok
    I wouldn't worry about it. Most states don't even recognize Calif. and or OHIO. Most of us get tickets in those two states as they target truck drivers. You might ask other truckers in Georgia but , more than likely it won't show up on your dac.

4. BobC

BobC Medium Load Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Cincinnati, slOhio
    It may not show up on your DAC right away but it will show on your driving record.

Get a lawyer to minimize that charge.

You have to be carefull in dismissing these things because the way they get written can be seriously damaging.
    This ticket will probably find it's way to your home state records.
    Technically, you're supposed to report it to your employer so he can report it.

The terminology for statutes in one state can mean something much worse in another state.
    What might only be 1 or 2 points in Cali might translate into something with many more points in another state.

You have a nasty ticket right there. It's like 1mph away from being 15 over & that my friend is a reckless driving charge.
    Look that particular charge up in you handbook. Look at the one next to it for being 10 over.

Don't screw around with this one.
    It could mean the difference between having a future & not having one in trucking.

5. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    Man, you have GOT to pay attention in Cally. I once got a ticket for making a pass in the third lane going up El Cajon empty. I wasn't gonna stay behind those slow trucks in the two right lanes, but I learned fast to tow the line and creep up the hill single or double file no matter how light the rig is. Cally is serious about the lane restrictions.

And they're serious about truck speed limits, too.

I was in the third lane (of four lanes) for only about a minute, but I still got busted for 109 bones. I paid it, as there was no fighting it. I even had those guys mail me back a receipt just to make sure I had no issues later with a supposed unpaid fine getting my CDL suspended.

Don't dick around with Cally, my friend. Get a lawyer and let him fight this ticket for you. OOIDA may be able to give you the name of a good lawyer in Cally that does this sort of thing regularly. Cally makes a good portion of its revenue from the big rigs, especially those from out of state. You'd better believe there are lawyers in Cally that make their living solely on fighting truck speeding tickets.

Yeah--get the lawyer. See if you can get it dismissed.

6. FunnyFarm04

FunnyFarm04 Light Load Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Oak Hills, California
    HI there,
    Are you sure about that 40 speed limit? Where were you? If you were going down the Cajon Pass the limit is 45 not 40. This could make a difference as to how far over the limit you actually were.

Good luck,
    FunnyFarm

7. tammytell

tammytell Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2007
    tulsa,ok
    All I know is I got a ticket for third lane going down the grapevine about 3 yrs. ago. My state doesn't recognize calif. or ohio. It never showed up on dac or driving record. Also got a speeding in Ohio never showed.Maybe Georgia is different , ask other truckers from Georgia. I'm sure most vhave had tickets in Calif. If they (calif) can't find anything wrong , they make something up.!!

8. xr7conv

xr7conv Light Load Member

Thanks for the advice. I am going to find a lawyer. Don't I know I have to pay attention. I have learned my lesson. Just got to involved with the driving and downhill stuff but that will not happen again. Just go slow is my new Motto!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.