Need some advice from the tanker vets in here.......

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by superpet39, Feb 26, 2013.

1. superpet39

superpet39 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Bay Area California
    Guys, really wanna haul tankers .....I have every endorsement except passenger..... And I'll have my twic in dec.....

i haven't driven for anyone in 3 years, and would prefer not to go back to old job (moving company - not HHG side) if I had a choice to drive a tanker ......what's are my choices: stay at old job for 6 months? (12?) then give tanker co's a call...........or go to a school to teach me about them (can u even go to a school/ CDL Mill if u already have your "A") and "slave" for one of them for a year......... Need to be forthcoming if I hope to get accurate info.....so i regretfully ( i know the stigma on here)need to add the reason I have to wait until dec: it's when I finish my DUI program for a DUI back in 2008.

i consider myself more of a steering wheel holder since I taught myself how to drive and never went to a school if that helps. Thanks in advance for the feedback, I'll prepare myself for some of it to be negative considering the bad choice I made (in personal car I might add-not that makes it any better)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. superpet39

Jan 27, 2013
    Bay Area California
    I might also add, I jump in a truck about once a month, just to make sure I can still back up ( which I can) so I do still know I can drive.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Schneider & Prime both have their own tanker schools. One guy posted here yesterday, he got on with CTL hauling acid;, right out of CDL school. That's where the money is; tanker/hazmat.

superpet39 Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    There are some companies that may hire you now, pulling reefers & dry vans, even with the DUI. You might do that until you're clean to go with tankers.

superpet39 Thanks this.
  6. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    If Schneider won't hire you maybe one of the milk haulers in the area would. My guess is it may take 5 years before the DUI stops slamming doors. Good luck.

7. superpet39

Jan 27, 2013
    Bay Area California
    The dui happened in 2008 (5 years ago)

what im really trying to guage is what are the odds of me getting hired on with a tanker outfit after going back to my old job for .....lets say 6 months.... i've read on here that local experience is worth NOTHING to a tanker company.

What i SHOULD BE ASKING is, what type of training (if at all) do tanker companies give you. If i can avoid going to a place like Prime/schneider for a year for tanker training, I will.(plus how does that work when i get hometime- i live in Northern Cali.)

If its better for me to bite the bullet.... heck... i'll sign on the dotted line day after christmas lol Sorry if i sound all over the place but i have an important decision to make come mid december, and dont wanna blow it.

8. superpet39

Jan 27, 2013
    Bay Area California
    Thank you again chinatown

9. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Many insurance companies have a 5 year min b/4 considering a driver w/ a DUI/DWI so you have a chance.

superpet39 Thanks this.
  10. pawpaw1

pawpaw1 Medium Load Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Dallas,Ga.
    Perhaps things have changed . I thought DUI barred the door forever.

11. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    We have a driver that got a DUI , spent the year dispatching , then got back in the truck .

superpet39 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.