Need some advice on my MGIB (Military)

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Duffield, Aug 14, 2012.

  1. Duffield

    Duffield Bobtail Member

    Jul 12, 2012
    Kandahar, Afghanistan
    Hay guys, im in need of some advice.

    I have the MGIB (Regular) right now, with the option to swap it for the Post 911. I would like to know what works best for CDL School's. I have been reading the VA website but have a hard time finding my answer. I know there are a few of us that have beenj through the transition process before. Thanks
    laverty Thanks this.
  2. laverty

    laverty Bobtail Member

    Nov 30, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
    Duffield Thanks this.
  3. H-D Road Glide

    H-D Road Glide Light Load Member

    Jun 25, 2012
    Central Florida

    The information on there is outdated. As of Oct 2011, you can use the Post 9/11 Bill for trade/vocational schools as well as apprenticeships and OJT. With the Post 9/11 GI Bill, if you go to a community college, you would rate the BAH and the tuition. I haven't seen many (non-company sponsored) CDL schools that accept the Post 9/11. I know National Training would accept the Montgomery, but only for the Independent Trucker Program, which basically is double the online work, but same 3 weeks of driving time.

    If you go to a company sponsored, VA approved school, you can use the GI bill for the apprenticeship part, which you can use for the first year of employment and get 100% BAH for the first 6 Months, 80% for the second 6 Months, and $83 a month for books and supplies, Under the Montgomery, you can get $1104.75 for the first 6, then $8xx.xx for the next 6.

    My personal opinion, if you have the money or can finance the school, do that and get tuition rembursement from a company, and save your GI benefits till you want to pursue a degree. Its what I would do if I were in your position, but it may not be the best option for you. You could also use TA while/if your still in to get your CDL before you get out.
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
    Duffield Thanks this.
  4. Paluche

    Paluche Light Load Member

    May 15, 2009
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Simple answer, Post/911 GI Bill will cover all your tuition. Better than the Mont GI for truck school
    Duffield Thanks this.
  5. scttwldthng

    scttwldthng Bobtail Member

    Jul 14, 2012
    Cicero, NY
    If you are a 100% eligible the Post 9/11 will pay for your tuition, give you a book stipend and also give you money for housing. The money for housing is based on a E-5 in the zip code near you. If your going to a trucking school and they are approved by the VA they should have a financial aid person to speak to and they can tell you exactly what your entitlements would be for someone who is 100% eligible.
    Duffield Thanks this.
  6. stirfry319

    stirfry319 Bobtail Member

    Jul 31, 2012
    Kenner, LA
    Well if this helps any I just got my CDL and I am a veteran. I had to go through the same process. I switched and the Post 9/11 paid for my school and I got paid the BAH for housing the days I was in school. If you have not started school yet. Look into Roadmaster Driving School they are covered under the Post 9/11 as an approved school. Also go to and register online under the education tab to change from the regular MGIB to the Post 9/11. Switching to the Post 9/11 was better for me and most companies have a Military Apprentience Program that offers benefits for education also. Hope this helped. Happy Trucking and see you on the road someday.
  • Draft saved Draft deleted