Need some advice please, Tanker/flatbed jobs in South Alabama?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Vicewire, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Atlaw4u

Atlaw4u Heavy Load Member

Jun 8, 2018
    Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Vicewire

Vicewire Bobtail Member

Apr 8, 2019
    @Atlaw4u will do my best thank you for the good luck.

4. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Yes, and there's one Frequent Poster on this forum who bashes autos, yet no longer drives a CMV.

First trip through Atlanta with an auto will make you a true believer.

I've done Sandstone, Monteagle, Fancy Gap, Cumberland Gap, and the big downhill from Covington to Cincinnati with an automatic, and lived to tell the tale.

In a truck with 7 gauges on the dash. I had no idea what the temperature of my left rear outside valve stem was during the descent, but I made it anyway.

How? Select the correct gear, keep the forces balanced, stay physically relaxed and mentally alert.

Not always easy, but I believe it IS that simple.

5. Vicewire

Vicewire Bobtail Member

Apr 8, 2019
    @homeskillet alrighty thanks for the advice appreciate it.

6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

WOIA/WIA is a grant from the federal government adminstered through the states that pays for additional training for people that are unemployed or underemployed. Almost any type of trade school CAN be paid for through WOIA/WIA. In every state you start the process at your local unemployment office. It can pay the full costs of CDL school, any supplies, medical exam, drug tests, etc. The state office will usually want you to get a pre-hire letter from 1 or more tucking companies to show you are eligible to be hired once you complete truck driving school. The state doesn't want to fund your training if something in your work history, criminal history, drug history prevents you from being hired. Pre-hires are very easy to get unless you have DUIs, felonies, scary driving record.

EVERY CDL school will find somone to give you a student loan. About 1/2 of trucking companies offer Tuition Reimbursement in addition to pay of you are a new driver. The TR amount may not match your student loan payment, but it will help repay any loan you may decide to take.

I suggest you find a trucking company near you to work for that will put one of their drivers in contact with you. Working for a nearby company means more frequent hometime. Don't be quick to volunteer for 4 weeks away from home. Many driving jobs only require 1-2 weeks away from home. Being cooped up in a truck will get old and hometime is how many of us stay normal.

7. Vicewire

Vicewire Bobtail Member

Apr 8, 2019
    @tscottme Thank you for explaining it to me that makes it pretty easy cause im pretty sure that building is about 4 blocks from my house. I've got no DUIs, felonies, or a bad driving record. I got a few tickets around 2012 when I was younger for speeding and that's about it. Ill look into it but recently I've been considering going with Prime. They're further from my house than I'd like but if I end up not really caring for it then ill finish out my contract with them and atleast ill have a year.. year and half or more of OTR. Do you know if there are any companies in our area you could suggest off hand that would be similar to what they offer.

8. Vicewire

Vicewire Bobtail Member

Apr 8, 2019
    I just wanted to thank everyone for all the advice and help. I've been driving for about 6 months now. I choose to go with Prime inc and overall they've been really good to me. I have very few complaints about the company or the career but that usually depends on the day I'm having lol. I never expected the response I got but I couldn't appreciate you fellas more. I hope to meet some of yall on the highway one day but until then take it easy and and keep the rubber side down.

Dr. Piper and Chinatown Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.