Need some answers about PAM

Discussion in 'PAM' started by LilRed2130, Aug 20, 2012.

1. LilRed2130

LilRed2130 Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Orlando FL
    My husband is looking into going to PAM for training...but we have a few questions. We want to know if for 6 months all you get paid is $300 a week while you train? How many hours do you have to do at the training school? Can you get done before 3 weeks? How long do you have to pay back the money they put out for the schooling and if you know someone in the company can you get them as a trainer? I tried to find the answers to these questions online, if anyone knows your knowledge is greatly appreciated! Any tips or info is appreciated too!!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CarpTruckin

CarpTruckin Bobtail Member

Jul 3, 2012
    If you are going through Driver Solutions the school is 3 weeks long, no pay while attending although you do get a $200 check upon graduating. Once at PAM you have one week of Orientation which they pay you $300 cash, no taxes. Then you go on the road with a trainer for 2 weeks which they pay $300 weekly before taxes. After that you are put on as a team driver and get paid .175 cents per mile or .195 per mile if you have hazmat. Teams generally get at least 4k miles a week.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

4. LilRed2130

LilRed2130 Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Orlando FL

Thank you so much for giving me that information. It helps immensely to clear some things up.

Do you or anyone else know where the students stay while at the school, is it paid for (the room) and do they have to room with someone? I heard that while at school you get free breakfast and lunch, is that true?

I have been reading through some threads on here but i want to make sure we have all the information we need before I send my husband out there.

5. Noggin

Noggin Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston, TX
    When I was in C1 (3 years ago) we didn't get anything free. No breakfast. No lunch. He will be placed with someone in the hotel, unless he's luckily the odd man...but they'll find a way to get him into a room with someone else. The room does not cost anything up front, they will just add it in with the total for the C1 school (I think its an extra $400+ or so). Living in Orlando, I don't know where he'll attend school, but I'm assuming he'll get sent to the C1 in Little Rock, AR.

After he is done with his orientation and training, and gets assigned to a truck, they will start taking out money from every check for a certain number of weeks. I don't know the costs now, but when I went through it, PAM took out $45 a week for like 43 or 45 weeks or so...the amount was greater than what I owed, so when they paid Driver Solutions, I got my certificate from C1 and a check for the excess money taken out sent to my house a week or two later. He will also have $25 (maybe more now, I don't know) taken out of every check to be put into an escrow account. It was $400 when I did it back in '09. I've heard it is a little more now though. That will be used mainly to fix issues with the truck or if they need to recover the truck after he quits or gets terminated. When I quit, I received all $400 back, but you have to wait 90 days before you get it.

I don't know your financial situation, but if it is at all possible, I would recommend taking a course at a community college or the like...It will be cheaper (although you'll probably pay the same amount that you will have to pay for C1, probably around $2000). It will be due up front, but you can get grants, loans, etc. He will have MUCH more hands on training, and a better learning experience all around. C1 is a joke. Just my suggestion. :)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.