Need some help...New Connex CX-4600 Turbo

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by JoeCoolMpls, Mar 25, 2008.

1. JoeCoolMpls

JoeCoolMpls Bobtail Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Columbus,NC
    I just hooked up a new Connex CX-4600 Turbo my dad bought me. I have no idea how to work it..... Actually have loved my 29 w/connex board but he's sort of a if some is good more is better type of guy.... Can anybody give me a link to some sort of manual or at least fill me in on the basics?
    Thanks!
    Jeff

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rebel Patriot

Rebel Patriot Light Load Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Boston, MA

can you give a little more information than "work it?"

the basics are pretty similar to the 29 you had, except more power. I assume you have decent power hooked up properly, and fused?

bored silly Thanks this.
  4. JoeCoolMpls

JoeCoolMpls Bobtail Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Columbus,NC
    Power fused and direct to batteries... Doesn't seem to be recieving much and can't get any replies to a radio check even thought I'm next to the interstate... Just had it to the CB guy and it checked out, but I don't know how good he is... I'm usually pretty good with this kind of stuff so I was wondering if there was something obvious I was missing...
    Jeff

5. thetez

thetez Medium Load Member

Jul 10, 2006
    you got your knobs and such set right? got a good antenna set up? antennas could be a prob...?

6. Gadfly

Gadfly Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2006
    You might want to know that the so-called "10 Meter" radios are against the law to use on CB (Google "FCC and 10 Meters") If you DO use this radio, make SURE where the actual CB band is. The "band" switch that says "A-B-C-D-E-F-G-H", etc can put you on the actual amateur bands which requires a license to operate on! The authorized users of 10 Meters (28 MHZ) and the 12 Meter band (24 MHZ) will actually seek you out and turn you into FCC. Contrary to popular belief, the FCC WILL come after your company (See "FCC & Melton Truck Lines" for an example). Continued illegal use of 10 Meters can cause a fine of up to $10,000 and seizure of any illegal radio equipment.

I'm not trying to bust your chops; many drivers/cbers don't KNOW that the alleged "10 Meter" radios can get them into trouble. Truthfully, there are NO so-called "extree channels" and one can get into trouble anytime he goes into what CBers often call the "freeband". Yet, there's actually no such thing as a "freeband". And it is particularly those licensed hams you have to worry about if you go yakkin' on their frequencies! (10 and 12 Meters).

So be careful, and stay away from those areas.

Gadfly

7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I think it's "D" band and AM, for CB.

bored silly Thanks this.
  8. Kaonix

Kaonix Light Load Member

Jul 23, 2008
    In my, Truck
    That's correct.

9. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    I had an issue with an old radio that I bought used last year.
    It had been worked on allot over the years, and all the bands were on it. Including some that should not have been on one at all. IE: Military band.
    I was in Nevada last summer and could not get any answer on channel 19, and nobody was talking. luckily I only tried for radio checks a couple of times. Then I stopped at a CB shop.

The radio had been set up so that you change bands when you use the channel changer with the dimmer switch on low. I did not know much about the frequency's at the time, so I did not know that it had switched to the military freq. the night before when I was messing with it.

After that mishap I replaced it with a new radio, and sold that one to a shop. I did not feel like messing with it anymore.

10. williamstlj530

williamstlj530 Bobtail Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Ft.Worth Texas

So If I stay on 19 and watch my ### I'll be OK with a 10 meter?

bored silly Thanks this.
  11. Gadfly

Gadfly Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Yes....................so long as you know which of the "bands" is the real channel 19. It is when you are tempted to operate on one of the non-permitted bands that it might get you into trouble. THAT is one of the problems with the illegal and so-called "10 Meter" radios; those "band" switches that allow folks to wander into areas that are not permitted!
    There are NO "extra" channels for CB and everything other than CB, MURS, and FRS requires a paper license to operate.. NO exceptions. The legal users of the bands being interfered with by interlopers WILL protest! :biggrin_255:

Gadfly

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.