Need some help picking a truck.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by oxbat, Aug 16, 2018.

1. oxbat

oxbat Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2018
    I know this is a more CDL oriented forum, but it is the best thing I could find to present my question. My wife has taken a new job and now I have to buy her a truck..... She is now the potato chip lady! She now owns her own company as an independent contractor with a distribution route. The previous owner ran a 3500 Dodge with a 20' enclosed trailer. My wife pulling/parking/backing a trailer is NOT an option...Sooo..I think I'm looking for a box truck. Can anyone please give me any advice as to which direction to look. The only specs I have at the moment are minimum 16' box. I would assume I need a diesel, and probably the lowest entry/exit height at the rear. Opinions on service costs and longevity please. Definitely looking at used with a budget under 25k. Any help, insight, advice, and direction will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tnevin225

tnevin225 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    Might start with Truck Paper. And stay away from the International Max Force engine.

x1Heavy and oxbat Thank this.
  4. oxbat

oxbat Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2018
    Ok, thanks A buddy is steering towards isuzu, but idk...lots of V10 Fords out there, but I don't think that's the best for milage.

5. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I would post this on Expeditors Online. It's a pretty good forum with lots of guys who know a lot more about small/medium trucks, box trucks, etc.

Good luck!

Jazz1 and oxbat Thank this.
  6. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    I'm guessing chips arn't all that heavy. Lean away from the diesels. Gas is cheap and gas engines of today are far cheaper to maintain than a diesel all week long and twice on Sunday. Only go Diesel if you really need the torque. Most local deliver vehicles do not. With only 25K to spend you will be looking used so get maintenance records and have the vehicle inspected before your purchase. By the sounds of it a 1 ton cube van may suite your needs. Nice and short for easy maneuvering with maximum cargo space.

86scotty, Justrucking2 and oxbat Thank this.
  7. oxbat

oxbat Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2018
    Awesome, Thank you

8. oxbat

oxbat Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2018
    Any recommendations as to make and model? I am completely new to this world.

9. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    The Ford V10's actually have a good reliability reports from local fire and EMS units as a cost effective alternative to small diesels today. Might only get 10 mpg but theres tons saved on preventative maintenance and repairs compared to a diesel with today's emissions.

86scotty, Justrucking2 and oxbat Thank this.
  10. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Not sure how good the smaller diesel engines are with all the emission stuff we have today.

I would look at gas engine maybe. Truck engine now had EGR, DPF filters and DEF fluid to meet the new emission laws. Google the Maxxforce engine you can see the disaster that thing was. Probably the worse engine ever make.

Cummins had trouble with the ISX engine taking put cam shaft for several years. 2002 to 2013 were very bad years for truck diesel engine.

oxbat Thanks this.
  11. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    Read consumer report and don't buy new. You really haven't told us much. How big of load. How far to deliver, etc.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.