Need some tips

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by mema, Nov 8, 2009.

1. mema

mema Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Los Lunas, NM
    I was with CRE for 3 months, was involved in an accident. Box truck rolled over on icy road. It was on the other side of a hill , not visible until you came over hill. Even tho I wasn't cited or blamed for accident via police investigation, ( eye witness was state police man responding to box truck. ) I was terminated for damage to trailer while trying to avoid other vehicle. Even tho this was a bad experience for me, I would still like to drive OTR. My question is how will this affect my carreer , and who will hire me with such short experience ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. doubledragon5

doubledragon5 Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Lewisville TX
    It will all depend on how CRE puts it on your DAC.. You should be able to explain it to a potential employer what happened and that it was a weather related accident and that you were not cited for it.. But with the economy being so crappy, most companies are avoiding hiring anyone with a accident or any other issues on their MVR.. Good luck and lets us know how things work out.

mema Thanks this.
  4. 97 Ford Aeromax 550Det

97 Ford Aeromax 550Det Light Load Member

Oct 1, 2009
    Indiana
    Mema, yes its sad in this profession, you as a driver want to drive safely and avoid accidents and do good. But damaging company equipment, rather it be your fault or not, is like your kids admitting reasonable excuses WHY they got F's in school and dont you as a parent STILL punish them somewhat or cuddle them and say "Awww, its ok,you can do it again, I understand."

Companies DONT understand and never will(maybe your next hire-on company will). They expect perfect robots in driving. Ive been driving for ten(10)yrs now without an accident(mind you, between the lines, that ALSO includes 10 winters), and Im the LAST one to admit Im a robot ....just lucky....very lucky. I for one always buy 2 extra disposible cameras in addition to the one a company issues so I can cover myself. Maybe pictures to defend the condition you were faced with mighta helped in shuting them up. Maybe yes, maybe no.

The economy swing ALWAYS dictates over the years Ive noticed just how nit-picky companies will be on hiring. Its like rolling the dice on hiring experience versus newbies. Which one will be the better worker RATHER or not they have an accident on their DAC or not. Kinda like Pilot TS has better showers, but Flying J has better food buffets....do I stink BUT eat good or smell good but starve? Companies have to choose, some can have their cake and eat it too, and some will just hire newbies and hope they get the cake later(you end up being a good investment as a rookie)

I wish you well and present your case to the next company with respect and hopefullness and by ALL means, DONT give up.

5. flashman

flashman Bobtail Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Beloit, WI
    Try to start with a smaller company. I had a rollover and I went to a smaller co. and still got a job and besides that, experience doesn't matter ... a lot of companies will hire you. You might have to go with a trainer for a week or two but then you'll get a truck and be on the road.

I should ask tho, did they put it down as non-preventable or preventable?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.