Need tips on backing a 40ft Trailer!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Thull, Apr 11, 2017.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Not necessarily. It depends on how the trailer's built. We have Strick 40's with tandems that will slide quite a bit.

Blackshack46 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

Even still, 53 with tandems at 41 feet, or 40 with tandems at 1 foot. Your still steering the trailer by the tandems no matter the location.

Well, that wasnt really helpful. Just needed something to say.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  4. Thull

Thull Medium Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    I can back.......

5. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    You just need to adjust .

Thull Thanks this.
  6. Raezzor

Raezzor Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Aug 1, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    20's are even more fun. The only saving grace for them is you can usually stretch the chassis out but good luck doing that when the chassis is older than X-1 and it's loaded with 200k lbs of neutron star material.

SlantSix and PacoTaco Thank this.
  7. PacoTaco

PacoTaco Medium Load Member

Apr 16, 2016
    South Texas
    The shorter the trailer the harder they are to back. I rented a little U-Haul box truck with a car dolly - that was the hardest back I've ever done!

8. A Bug

A Bug Heavy Load Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Sevierville TN
    I have heard folks say that shorter trailers are harder to back than longer ones, but it just aint so.

I had been backing 53 foot trailers sometimes ten times a day for over two years. Then one day I get a 48 foot trailer and I could not believe how much easier it was to back up with that thing the very first day using it.

Hard to imagine that just five feet difference in length would make me feel like super trucker.

SingingWolf Thanks this.
  9. Raezzor

Raezzor Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Aug 1, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    That's because a 48 is still pretty long compared to the tractor. It's a whole new ball game once you start getting below 40' and the ratio of trailer length to tractor length gets closer to 1:1. As long as you are decent at backing and take it slow you'll be ok, sure.

This is also why it's such entertainment watching an RV backing into a spot at a TS when they are towing a car on a dolly.

Dumdriver, MACK E-6 and Thull Thank this.
  10. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Just to be clear, are you now asking how to make a right turn in reverse?

Once you have mastered the difference between a reverse button hook and a reverse jug handle you will be doing great.

SingingWolf and Thull Thank this.
  11. Thull

Thull Medium Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Here is a pic of our yard where we bring containers to. I guess I wasn't saying that I "can't back" at all. It's the space I have to maneuver the truck & trailer to get it in the hole. That's what I'm having trouble doing. But I'm getting a little better at it. Set up is definitely the Key! Just wanted to give you guys a visual since people were thinking I was saying I couldn't back a trailer at all. IMG_9570.jpg J

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.