Need to pull head, 3406E 1LW, any points?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by T800H, Apr 26, 2017.

1. T800H

T800H Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2010
    The Keys
    Hello Guys, my beloved 1LW is pushing water thru the exhaust, consuming about 2 to 3 gallons on a 200 mile round trip, not over heating, not pushing water out of the rad cap either, did the bottle test and no a single bubble.

I've called a few shops and every one is busy for at leas two weeks and I cant wait that long, I'm mechanically incline but never done this my self, theoretically I'm better mechanic than most of the shops in the area, but I have never done any work inside the engine my self, I know I can do it, if any doubt on something I can call a couple of guys to help me clear the doubt, I'm a bit nervous but pretty sure I can do it, been hesitating all morning to start, but the time is here so I must start now, please wish luck and if any body has any idea what it could be let me know, or if any of you has any pointers on how to do something like, cam removal or anything technical that could make it easier and better please do not hesitate.

I really appreciate all opinions but, but make sure if you are going to say something it is something positive and something you know and have done and can help me go thru this the best possible way, no guesses please I don't need any confusion right now, due to my financial and health situation I'm as stress as I can be.

I hope i didn't sound arrogant on my plead for help because I'm not, I'm as humble as any body can be and really appreciate your help big time . Thank you so much and I will keep you posted on how things develop.

rollin coal Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Diesel Charlie

Diesel Charlie Bobtail Member

Apr 26, 2017
    You might have a problem getting some of the cylinder head bolts loose if you don't have that deep 12 point socket.

4. T800H

T800H Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2010
    The Keys
    Good point Charlie, a friend was telling me that he had that socket if I need it, he told me that I might not, but just in case he has it.

Is this something common on the 3406E or some do and some don't?

5. colorado18spd

colorado18spd Medium Load Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Adept Ape on YouTube is a good source of information on Cats.

T800H Thanks this.
  6. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    Make sure to eat two or three bowls of Wheaties before retorquing the head bolts. That's the worst part of the job.

T800H and sxdime Thank this.
  7. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    A couple of things that will make things go smoother...

Disconnect the batteries and pin the motor to #1 TDC before you start any disassembly. When it comes time to pull the cam gear, take the peanut cover off, clean a small area with Brakleen where the teeth mesh, and use a paint marker to mark the cam gear position.

Make sure all the injectors, rockers, and bridges go back on the same cylinder. Do not touch, attempt to clean or bang the injector tips on anything. If you send them out for cleaning and testing, write down the serial numbers and which cylinder each goes in.

8. T800H

T800H Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2010
    The Keys
    Great info here thank you lilili. So before cam removal, make sure #1 is at TDC, to make it easy to timing when cam goes back, Thank you.

Colorado I have watched almost all his video will double check some again, Thank you.

SAR and Oxbow Thank this.
  9. sxdime

sxdime Medium Load Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Elkton MD
    It would be in your best interest to get new head bolts as well. The final torque on them is 340 if I remember correctly and doesn't take much to stretch and old head bolt.

rollin coal, SAR, Oxbow and 1 other person Thank this.
  10. T800H

T800H Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2010
    The Keys
    will do, Thanks.

SAR and Oxbow Thank this.
  11. WyoVac

WyoVac Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2017
    IMG_0903.JPG IMG_0783.JPG Hey T800H, for what it's worth, I just finished an inframe on my 5EK. I've found so much useful advise here in the forums. I've never attempted a job like this and am mechanically inclined just as you are. Having the CAT service manual for your particular ser # would be useful as it was for me. Take your time with your power plant, clean all of the engine you intend to work on before you begin. Being careful not to drop gritty, oiled dirt into the oil feed at the drivers front of block while your lifting head. Many will recommend after pulling head checking liner protrusion, thats good advice. I tried to save a buck and sent my head to a local shop to be rebuilt. Be careful with that. Always inspect the intire head after any rebuild. Check all o-rings cuz you don't wanna leak after it's together. Look it all over carefully. The head gets a lot of abuse. And of course, paint it! Matt

rollin coal, Oxbow, SAR and 1 other person Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.