Need to replace my sleeper on my 97 Pete 379 anybody give me instructions on what needs to be done p

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by millstrucking, Jul 23, 2018.

1. millstrucking

millstrucking Bobtail Member

Jul 23, 2018
    Need to replace my sleeper on my 97 Pete 379 anybody give me instructions on what needs to be done prior to remaval?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. millstrucking

Jul 23, 2018

4. millstrucking

Jul 23, 2018
  5. DrDieselUSA

DrDieselUSA Bobtail Member

May 9, 2018
    You are going to have to have a mechanic evacuate the A/C system before you disconnect the lines going to the evaporator in the sleeper. Then you need to disconnect the heater lines along with any wiring. Try to trace the wiring and disconnect them at the connectors rather than just cutting the wires. If you have an APU, that also needs to be disconnected. It might also be a good idea to remove the exhaust stacks to give you some room and to prevent any damage. You are going to need some wood blocks to support the cab when you disconnect the cab air ride. That is most of what I can think of without seeing the truck. I hope you have a few friends to help out, be careful and good luck.

Grubby Thanks this.
  6. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    why is the sleeper getting removed?

7. cjb logistics

cjb logistics Heavy Load Member

Aug 13, 2016
    Liberal Ks
    Bout sums it up from Dr diesel, pull some lining out the inside and unbolt cab/sleeper, then underneath cab to sleeper.

DrDieselUSA Thanks this.
  8. JohnC123

JohnC123 Light Load Member

Jan 25, 2018
    Have personally done this for customer in tanker roll-over, only sleeper he could find used and for sale was a couple of years newer (also replaced air-box, steps, muffler stack and fuel tank), had to swap harnesses out because of to many connector differences and even some of the "appliance" hardware components had to be re-installed in the newer sleeper. Only good thing about that is that the harnesses were similar in length (except connectors) and the locations were about the same. Can it be done, yes, I did it but pack a lunch. Your first hurdle is to get things apart without creating more damage that you'll need to address later, hopefully you'll find an good exact replacement (not as easy as you think)... let me know if I can help.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.