Need work? South Texas Oilfield hiring like crazy!

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by bennythejew, Sep 7, 2011.

  1. bennythejew

    bennythejew Bobtail Member

    Feb 20, 2007
    Hello! I don't come here very often, but I wanted to put a notice out there to anyone needing work or just looking for a change of scenery. I live in south Texas and the oilfield here has fired it's afterburners! Companies are hiring like mad, and in SOME cases will even train/ hire "under-qualified" drivers. The endorsments you need are HazMat and Tanker, and some (if not all) companies will pay for you to get/maintain your license.
    I've been in the oilfield as a driver for about 5 years now, through ups and downs and right now it's so busy companies are desperate for drivers and/or equipment operators. I haul crude oil for Gulfmark Energy and I love it! The pay is great and the schedule is awesome.
    Oilfield work typically pays above average and the schedule is different depending on who hires you and for what. Also, the rules of service are different than other trucking fields.
    Before I let this go too long, I'll list some companies that I've seen in my area:

    Gulfmark Energy

    Flint -

    Mission Petroleum -

    Plains -

    Arguindegui -

    R.C.'s Jubilee - http://www.quicktransportsolutions....trucking-transportation-inc-usdot-1199717.php

    VACUUM/ PRODUCTION (note: this is not easy work, but it's a good way to get experience and a foot in the door):

    Texas Energy -

    Key Energy -

    Mo-Vac -

    C&J -

    Cudd -

    Schulumberger -

    Torqued-Up -

    That's all I can think of off the top of my head, if you have any questions, I'll answer what I can. I've worked for Torqued-Up, Texas Energy, and now I work for Gulfmark, so I know a bit about production work, vacuum, and crude. I hope this helps some of you!

  2. Patt52

    Patt52 Light Load Member

    Aug 18, 2011
    N. Texas
    The San Antonio paper has had quite a few articles about what is going on in the Eagle Ford Shale. Almost like a feeding frenzy!

    Speaking of getting a foot in the door....what type equipment did you run on the vacuum work? Any of the companies that use straight trucks where a class B would suffice for a while?
    wowo6057 Thanks this.
  3. MattMichigan

    MattMichigan Light Load Member

    Mar 27, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I submitted an application online with Gulfmark. I have been banging out these applications with several different crude oil haulers. I have been pulling tankers for the last 3 1/2 years hauling chemicals. I've loaded/unloaded everything from blue toilet bowl water to monochloroacetic acid and all kinds of slop inbetween. Hopefully I will get hired soon.....??
  4. regdawg1

    regdawg1 Light Load Member

    Jul 1, 2011
    Durham, NC
    Which of these crude/fuel haulers will hire out of Truck Driver Training and what is starting pay/schedule with your company if u don't mind saying?
    Biggeorge, hardworkinman and ArmyGuy Thank this.
  5. jvar4001

    jvar4001 Medium Load Member

    Mar 4, 2011
    do you have to have a texas licence to work with them ? becsuse federal law says they drop your hazmat everytime you swith from state to state .
    Biggeorge and hardworkinman Thank this.
  6. Patt52

    Patt52 Light Load Member

    Aug 18, 2011
    N. Texas
    You would have 30 days to apply for a Texas license. Information found on Texas Dept. of Public Safety web site states if you have a current Hazmat endorsement you can get a temporary 90 day endorsement when applying for new license. More info there about that requirement.
  7. jvar4001

    jvar4001 Medium Load Member

    Mar 4, 2011
    now thats weird !!! i was told you can used outa state to work on the oilfield in texas trimac dont care if you have out state licence. let me know . now someone is not telling the right answer . it just that i dont wanna go there and have this BIG SURPRISE!
  8. BigJohn54

    BigJohn54 Gone, but NEVER forgotten

    May 13, 2011
    SW Missouri
    The simple answer to the CDL question is that you must have a CDL in your state of residence. If you work in the oilfield your state of residence would most likely be Texas. If you don't maintain a residence and address in another state that would be the case. What address will you show at the company you work for? Where will they mail your W-2s at the end of the year?
  9. jvar4001

    jvar4001 Medium Load Member

    Mar 4, 2011
    thankyou BIG JOHN54
    BigJohn54 Thanks this.
  10. bennythejew

    bennythejew Bobtail Member

    Feb 20, 2007
    Hello! Sorry I haven't answered anything yet, my email just now told me I had 1 reply and when I checked, there were tons! Okay, on to the answers (what I can, anyway)

    @patt52 - The equipment I used was a 130 barrel tank and I'm not sure what type of pump specifically. I have seen the straight trucks running around more and more, but I'm not 100% certain what companies. I'm not even sure what jobs they perform, other than the "Supersuckers," which suck up rig cuttings and what-not. They get the stuff the truck I drove couldn't. If I see another, I'll do my best to get the company name, but I drive nights and don't run into as much traffic as the day drivers. I know production companies like Schlumberger and Haliburton have straight trucks, but I would mention that I'll be getting my A-CDL post haste (if that is your intention) because you might not be driving the same truck every day. They might need you on a straight truck one day, and a combination the next, so being versatile is a plus.

    @ MattMichigan
    - It took me one full month of playing phone tag before I got hired on. Have you talked to HR? I'm not sure what hiring is going on over in your area.

    @regdawg1 - I'm assuming you mean fresh out of driving school? I'm not sure what crude/fuel haulers will, usually you need 1 year tanker and hazmat. The others, such as vacuum and production should hire you right away (I was) and I would say if you go the vacuum/production route and find you don't like it, if you can stick with it to get your experience, it's worth it. I have to warn you...some companies adhere to the hours of service and others try to get you to run off the log. If you get with a company and they try to force you to do something you don't feel safe doing, tell them. Don't let folks bully you, they'll try. But, you can call and ask, I know my company hired a guy who didn't have a full year yet, and he's still with us. Starting pay varies by company, I typically take home (after taxes) between $4,500 - $5,000 a month.

    @jvar4001 - I know Gulfmark has literally flown some of their drivers from Michigan down here to help with the workload. If you're planning on moving to Texas and they want to drop your hazmat, I can't see any reason why a company won't reimburse you for getting it back. I know Gulfmark would, but I can't speak for the others.

    edit: about the companies trying to get you to run off your's a difficult situation. I'm not demonizing companies, because vacuum companies never know when they're going to have a company man call with an urgent load or whatever. When he says he needs a truck, he gets his truck or he takes his business elsewhere. I ran off logs plenty, but got tired of it (physically and mentally) and needed to get out of it. You can make a decent check doing vacuum, and some folks even seem to enjoy it. It just wasn't for me.

    The way the oilfield hours of service work is this: You can drive 11 out of 14 hours, but if you're on a well site for 2 hours or more, you can log "off duty - well site" and it won't count towards your hours. Technically, you have to be off duty to use this, but who's going to know, right? We would use the "well site" exception and run crazy hours.
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  • Draft saved Draft deleted