Needing advice on keeping an engine good

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Unidewking, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Unidewking

Unidewking Light Load Member

May 3, 2018
    So i work for my cousin who farms 800 acres of row crop and he bought a semi last year finally. I used to drive his gas trucks and they were turds, always had the rpms up in the sky and split shifting to save my soul. The truck is an 07 international 9200i with a c13 cat holding 717k miles. 10 spd tranny. From what ive read the motor is an acert engine, some forum said if it has twins its an acert. On other forums i have read that if you drive them without hod roddin them they will last but if you work em too hard they can break. So id like to know how i can drive it to make it last. Right now with the 10 spd there is about 400 rpms between each gear and in 9th i can take most hills. It runs about 1450rpms going 45 in 9th. We are in pretty hilly areas so i take alot of hills. Is it working the motor to hard if i let it torque down to 1150 or 1200 on hills as long as i can crest over or will it be better for the engine if i just take it down to 8th and let her run 14 to 1500? I really wish it had a 13 spd, id like to try one and i feel being ble to go down half a gear instead of a whole would be better on the engine. Thanks for any advice to a new driver

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    Reason for edit: Spellin errors
    Lepton1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    If you look inside the door, find the rear end ratio. It sounds like yours might in the high 3's or low 4's. The ratio is how many revolutions of the drive shaft will turn the drive tires once.

Drive that engine at about 1500 rpm's pulling hills. The fan will generate more cooling effect than if you try to pull a hill less than that. Be patient on your pulls. Ideally find a gear you don't have to floor it if it's a long pull.

If you run a lot of hills I recommend installing a boost gauge and a pryometer gauge. When I drive my brother's truck, with an Acert 15 liter, we keep an eye on the pyrometer and keep it under 1000°F (exhaust temperature). Downshift as necessary to keep it cool. The boost gauge tells you the psi of boost from the turbo and will teach you how to be light on the throttle.

Find the engine serial number and post it. There's a number of folks running CAT that can help you far more than I can.

Ryan423 and okiedokie Thank this.
  4. Unidewking

May 3, 2018
    It is a 3.90 rear as memory serves and currently i let it run to 1200 before i downshift. I have yet to floor it, havent seen a need to, so my rpms always drop going up the hills. I cam hear the boost die out a bit and it wont build up anymore with more fuel so thats why i downshift. What exactly do you mean be patient with the pulls?

Lepton1 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas

Do not hurt that poor kitty. Let her come down to around 1300 and take a gear. You will come out at 1750 or so roughly.

She should be a happy kitty right in her post high torque and before maximum horsepower. Right in the sweet spot around 1550.

Lepton I think he is either redlining against his Pyro wanting to get the uphill pull over with or he is lugging down so much to the point of bucking at 1100 before taking a gear which itself will not come out to high horse power sweet spot forcing him into taking yet another gear, and another and so on. What a waste.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  6. Unidewking

May 3, 2018
    Where also might i find the serial? All the hills i do encounter are short and normally only require going to 8th unless i want to slow down for an intersection i know is coming up

7. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Serials.

There should be a plate on the upper left side of engine above the ECM module. On that plate should briefly describe nature of the engine.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  8. Unidewking

May 3, 2018
    This is gonna make me sound dumb but thought these cats got peak torque at 1250? So i shoulnd.t let it go below that? I shouldve put this somewhere in the original post but when the boss bought it he was told it was set to 470hp and that you should upshift at 1400 and downshift at 1100. Thats what we have both been going off of. It doesnt buck at 1100 when on the hills. Only pulling 73k average though. Doubt the boss would go for adding stuff. If it dont make money....

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  9. Unidewking

May 3, 2018
    Ill try and locate the serials tomorrow when we arent harvesting

10. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It has to be on there. Somewhere. It's not a bad engine, stolen engine, bootleg engine, rebuilt with african sourced parts engine or engine engine. This is something you seem to be wanting to love on for a long time. Just need to learn all you can about it.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  11. Unidewking

May 3, 2018
    Pretty much yeah. This is the first diesel ive ever driven and have done researxmch on motors and shifting and such so that when he put out the money for a gokd truck i could keep it good for him. What exactly is the sweet spot rpms range wise?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.