Negative ten degrees in Laramie WY tonight, what do I got to do to keep from freezing?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by A Bug, Feb 19, 2018.

1. A Bug

A Bug Heavy Load Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Sevierville TN
    I filled up on diesel in Cheyenne WY earlier today so it should already be treated with antifreeze. I am idling the engine but it only will do so at 600 rpm. Cannot increase the idle using cruise control like on other trucks, but by setting a tool box against the pedal the idle bumps up to 900 rpm.

I am parked between trucks so maybe that will help block the wind a little. Do you think that will be enough to keep my diesel from gelling tonight?

jraulpilot1998 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    High idle asap. 1000 rpm.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  4. Oldironfan

May 22, 2017
    Do not turn off engine. Using fuel is cheap. Service truck to get you started with gelled fuel is expensive.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  5. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    You'll be be fine ..warm fuel going from the return lines to the tanks .

6. Oldironfan

May 22, 2017
    Do not set your trailer brakes.

7. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I think it will be fine. I can't believe you can't idle the truck with cruise control. Even my company truck will idle once the temperature sensor reads below 20F at 900 RPMs. Idling all night is the best thing so you keep the pumping that warm return fuel into the tanks.

tscottme and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  8. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Check your fuel. Just use light to look in tank. If it starts to turn cloudy add some anti-gel.
    You should be ok if you idle.

9. jraulpilot1998

jraulpilot1998 Medium Load Member

Aug 20, 2014
    All over U.S.A
    I carry a piece of "Card board" with the proper measurements, to place in Front of Radiator. ONLY FOR NIGHT TIME PARK. You will be able to Idle at the ECM setting, and maintain a higher Temp on your engine. Must place a Note on your Steering Wheel so when it is time to "Roll", you will remember to remove the "contraption". It really works, I've done this for Years. Happy Trails..!!

10. Oldironfan

May 22, 2017
    I would add a mudflap on the ground works great. And if your truck is running cool in the cold weather run with radiator blocked up.

jraulpilot1998 Thanks this.
  11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    How much fuel do you have on board that was bought above I-70? As long as you're not running low with fuel you bought down south of I-70, you should be good. If you think you may have problems, you should be able to idle all night, but wait until morning, than add fuel there at the truck stop before you pull out and need power. The warm, local "treated fuel" will clear up and waxing in your filters in no time.

Never mind. I re-read your post. You'll be fine as long as you've always bought quality fuel since your last filter change, and there's not a lot of crap waiting to gum up in your filters. But for future reference, if you do get in trouble with no power, topping off with "warm fuel" in the morning will soon clear up your filter.

x1Heavy, tucker and A Bug Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.