Negotiating out of driver facing cameras

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Floridaman72, Jun 23, 2022.

1. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    There is another reason that is greater than insurance, as many of the big companies are self insured. They don’t trust the drivers and want to monitor them.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Absolutely nothing will change if NO ONE goes to bat for themselves, collectively or individually.

History shows us it is individuals who speak up first to be silenced, then either
    A. a collective group demands something which is caved to
    B. Everyone shuts up and goes along

In exceptionally rare typically unpubliciszed instances, the individual is succesful, but this does nothing to move the industry

4. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Im an o/o paid %, genuinely im out of touch with cpm, literally never been paid that way even as a company driver, but i ballparked my lazy keister at 80k miles, thats 20 k per year, more if i bother to work

5. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    OK but this ain't one of those situations and he ain't special. He, like everyone else knows what to do if he can't deal with how these companies do business.

6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

The company isn't going to negotiate with you about the camera. It's is likely the camera's are required by their insurance company to get the insurance cost they are currently paying. Imagine your plumber or electrician saying he will fix your house but only if you pull your security cameras out of the house or yard.

7. WildTiger1990

WildTiger1990 Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2015
    Yet they giving driver 250K + equipment, , and 100 000+ worth of load...
    Doesn't make a lot of sense

8. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    It’s funny you mention that the way you did above, the trucking school that I went to, due to only 40% of participates finishing the program and touting themselves as one of the toughest Trucking schools to pass, that we would be or should consider ourselves, “first round draft picks”. Lol the instructor further went on to describe if you make it a few years without any incidents, tickets accidents etc. you can consider yourself a free agent on the level of a Tom Brady. Lmao no joke he told us this. He went on to say there was such a demand for truck drivers that we would in fact be able to somewhat negotiate terms and conditions and pay. Similar to how a pro athlete does. Of course within reason… I mean all companies are still gonna have a top tier pay level that they’re just not gonna go past.

BUT, I also know for a fact that many of these companies, especially midsize companies they do not just tier pay all drivers the same. Your record is this, your experiences that, this is what you make. Nope. If you’re a good driver and you’re bold enough to go in there and ask for a raise, they’ll give it to you. What’s a few hundred bucks extra a month To a trucking company to have a safe and efficient driver that they’re making thousands and thousands on every month?

9. nredfor88

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    If a company doesn’t trust a driver enough to not have a camera on him, then that driver probably shouldn’t be hired.

If the pool of good drivers isn’t sufficient, then that’s another problem all together.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  10. nredfor88

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    I’m with you. My price is just much hirer. I was averaging $1950 per week when I was driving. I need 1k more than that per week to have a camera on me. Yes, I know I wouldn’t get that. And I know I won’t drive with a camera.

11. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Lol yeah, your instructor is definitely a football mark....hell I am too. You're right though. A driver could go and ask for a raise and get it. If he's proven himself and is reliable, accident free, delivers on time etc, I have no problem with drivers having a conversation about pay. With a reputable company, pay raise should be regular with longevity and good work. I am not the type of person that will ask for a favor or concessions without having brought something to the table. Teams are willing to pay Tom Brady, not because of his name, but his extraordinary talent and skill. He brings a lot to the table. He's got 7 Super Bowls, multiple MVPs, multiple Pro Bowls, I could go on and on. Not only that, he draws millions of dollars to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. What driver is bringing extraordinary skill and talent? Longevity with one company might be what separates one driver from the next, now that I'm thinking about it

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.