Nervous about orientation at Schneider.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Kieryus, Jul 15, 2019.

1. JoeTruck

JoeTruck Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    LOWER 48
    You will be fine. If you are not comfortable doing anything tell your trainer.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    The people that responded and know a little about Schneider, you need to contact them and bug them about details of orientation. That’s where your greatest chance of getting sent home will be.

Usually, most companies will have their own DOT physicals, drug and alcohol tests, and driving test. Problems in any of these areas in orientation and you’re out.

sealevel and Mike2633 Thank this.
  4. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    You'll be fine.
    The rest of us were.
    Happy trails

5. 4wayflashers

4wayflashers Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2014
    Im guessing your biggest worry is the road test. Just go slow and make full stops and for gods sake dont pull out onto any roads until its clear. The road test instructor will be forgiving of most things as long as he feels you are safety minded, he will know you are going with a trainer.

6. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Mind your curbs...

7. 4wayflashers

4wayflashers Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2014
    As you walk up to the truck ask him if you should do a pretrip, he'll probably say no cause he already did it, so just do a QUICK walk around. Familiarize yourself with controls (wipers if any chance of rain) and adjust seat and mirrors. Jake brake off and range selector down. Make sure truck and trailer are straight when you adjust your mirrors.

x1Heavy and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  8. sealevel

sealevel Road Train Member

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    @gentleroger would be a good one to ask. He is a trainer there. It is a accelerated training program for sure. Sink or swim, but they won't use you for teaming purposes disguised as training. Don't know how long you have before orientation but sometimes you can go back to your school, offer them 100 bucks and they will let you knock the rust off if it would ease your mind. They are a good starter company.

x1Heavy and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  9. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    You will be fine at Schneider.

Even if you are let go for skill issues, you can quickly get on with Roehl, etc.

Its roughly an 18 day orientation.

First 2 weeks is at an OC. You will be taught how to do things the Schneider Way. A little rust at the beginning is no problem, especially because you will be in an AMT. Watch your mirrors, square off your turns, drive the trailer. The training group will help you with any deficiencies.

You will spend a little less than 1/2 the time in the classroom covering soft skills. FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY PAY ATTENTION ANF ASK QUESTIONS.

There ARE stupid questions, but they need to be asked. I gaurantee that someone else has the same stupid question but is too afraid to ask. You will be expected to be familar with the tablet, the HOS, and the basics of trip planning when you get on the road with your TE.

At the end you will gave 5-7 days on the road with a trainer. You will do 80% of everything. Most of the time the trainer drives is to give you time to do the trip plan.

Just based on the fact that you found this forum you will do fine. Stay relaxed, don't get caught in your own head. Pop over to the Schneider sub forum and post in the "chat room". It is pretty quiet these days, but posting there will get you responses from a lot of good people. Or tag me and I will do what I can.

10. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2015
    I was in the same position. I did a recent road test and it wasn't a big deal as I thought it would be. The only thing I was worried about was my corners/turns. You have to make sure to watch your speed and clearance. Make sure you are going the right speed when you enter a corner that way you can add gas and not keep hitting the brake. Not good when you're loaded.

Fabulous Maximus and x1Heavy Thank this.
  11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You'll be fine if you can pass a hair follicle drug test.
    Schneider has their own refresher course, so they know how to deal with you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.