Nervous to get back into trucks.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Jbrow327, Apr 21, 2022.

1. Jbrow327

Jbrow327 Light Load Member

Sep 28, 2019
    I got my cdl in 2018 never used it due to driving record. Record is clean now. Every time I think about going to get my license upgraded back to cdl, I think of how nervous I was in training. Maneuvering a huge tractor trailer through turns and traffic still makes me nervous thinking about it. All that shifting I had to do on the 13 speed. I'd definitely go to an automated manual because they have become very good and I'd like to focus more on the road. Does anyone here ever feel the way I do? What advice do you have? Thanks.

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Sign up with a company that uses automatics or gives drivers a choice of automatic or stick shift.
    Don't worry about the traffic; you'll adjust and be ok.

4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Pride Transport is probably a good place to get started.
    You can send a Private Message to @Snowshoes and he'll give you accurate information on Pride; he works there.
    You can communicate with him on the open forum or private message; your choice.
    CDL Jobs | Hiring Now in Utah | Pride Transport

Snowshoes Thanks this.
  5. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    I’m more, “nervous“ driving around in a four wheeler on my days off than I am this giant truck now. Yes, we do indeed have to be much more aware of our surroundings, plan things out a bit and so forth but it really does become second nature to how we drive overtime. I feel out of place Driving a regular vehicle now. Lol

6. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    I’m going to have to disagree on Pride as a starter company. (Unless they changed their policies in a big way).

I was going to go with them a couple of years ago, and backed out due to their policy of requiring new drivers that came to them already having a CDL, to team with another driver for an extended time. I recall it was a couple of months, give or take. During that time, the pay is low, and worse, if anything happens and you must leave, you contractually owe them for “training”, even though you are already teaming for them, earning them extra due to it, plus had your own CDL.

If that policy is still out there, run, don’t walk away from them.

7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Same here.

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    He has zero experience. He'll need some time on the road with an experienced driver.
    There's several choices for him though.
    ~
    Kold Trans will hire him. The company is owned by Knight, but much smaller.
    Kold Trans Refrigerated Transportation & Logistics ...

Wargames Thanks this.
  9. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    Agree, but I feel there are safer options for new drivers that have a fresh CDL. If Pride changed their policy, then it may be a good option. I’ve talked to experienced drivers that are happy there, and from my own research it’s a good company. Just not for starting out (again, unless they did away with that policy).

Chinatown Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    nredfor88 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.