Nervous to get back into trucks.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Jbrow327, Apr 21, 2022.

1. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    What happened to having to be able to drive a truck before you got to be a truck driver? Do you even hear what you’re saying? “I know you don’t have any basic truck driving skills, like changing gears, but jump in that millennials motor home there and go out in traffic and figure it out” That’s madness.

Rugerfan Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    It comes back quick. I got my license over a decade ago and barely used it. Hadn't touched a truck in the last 4 or 5 years. Hopped into a truck for a week to help out not long ago and it didn't take long to get into the groove.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I didn't say that.
    He's been through school, has a CDL, the next step is to get on the road with a trainer.

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Pride hires drivers fresh out of cdl school and drivers with a long gap in driving.
    Also gives drivers a choice of stick shift or automatic.
    Have A CDL and Need Training?
    If you just got your Class A CDL or, maybe you’ve been away from the industry for a while, Pride Transport has got you covered. Pride has paid training and refresher courses. Our programs are custom tailored to each drivers' needs. So whether you’re new or returning, we have what every driver needs to get behind the wheel quickly and, most importantly, safely.

dadischeap Thanks this.
  6. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    That whole program is a ####show
    I read his post China. He told me himself that he’s not a truck driver. “Maneuvering a huge tractor trailer through turns and traffic still make me nervous..” That seems odd coming from someone who already holds a license that’s supposed to tell me, any other prospective employer or a LEO that they’re already proficient at that sort of thing. Give them the licence first and find out if they can drive a truck later, what ####ing lunatic dreamed up that program?

Chinatown Thanks this.
  7. TheLoadOut

TheLoadOut Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2019
    confidence- the feeling or belief that one can rely on someone or something; firm trust,
    the state of feeling certain about the truth of something, a feeling of self-assurance arising from one's appreciation of one's own abilities or qualities.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    It all comes with experience. The more experience you gain, the more confidence you will feel.

9. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

EVERY NEWBIE exaggerates the difficulty of shifting and backing. Getting around corners isn't usually the biggest fear. They have taught many people much dumber than you to do everything a normal truck driver does. Unless you are a special case you should learn it as fast or faster than most people. Shifting is just the same thing done hundreds of times per day. You already know to stay in your lane, stop at traffic lights, etc. You only have to learn in the differences between driving a car and a truck with trailer. "Don't shoot a hole in your own boat before you get to the dock."

10. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

s
    It's pretty common at most companies that hire newbies to team them with a trainer for 8 weeks. The goal is to work at a company that fits you. Focus on the company as a long term match or mis-match, not the training period. What if your friend said "I was going to marry Lisa, but she wants a big wedding, so I'm going to marry Jennifer who wants a small wedding." The "wedding" is a short-term consideration that is over soon, while the "marriage" cold be years or end in an expensive and ugly divorce. Make long-term decisions.

Tmocha29 and rockeee Thank this.
  11. BackwoodsGA

BackwoodsGA Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Elgin Nd
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.