Never seen this before, loose lug nuts on steer tire? (pics)

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by 85COE, May 27, 2022.

1. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Hard to see in that picture, but there’s something looks odd to me. Can’t see any chamfer on the stud holes and those are 1 piece nuts. Doesn’t appear to be a lot holding that wheel on even if the fasteners are tight. But like I said, I’m not there looking at it with my glasses on.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sixela918

Sixela918 Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2021
    Phoenix, AZ
    Meh, rusty trails was the terminology they drilled into us for the pretrip. Actually I think it was, "no rusty trails or streaks from lugnuts that would indicate looseness". Something like that. I just wanted to throw out my little joke there. Which nobody seemed to appreciate :(

4. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Old style Budd and aluminum was a bad combo. Guarantee the tapers in the wheel are worn, you can see by how far the nuts are recessed into the wheel. It also doesn’t look centered very well on the hub.

If it was mine, I would get new steel and ####can the Aluminum ones.

5. Sixela918

Nov 24, 2021
    Phoenix, AZ
    Holy ####! Now that I zoom in and really look at it, it looks those lug nuts are completely INSIDE the holes. I bet the lugs are bottomed out right against the drum. If that's the case, bad bad news!

6. Sixela918

Nov 24, 2021
    Phoenix, AZ
    I totally agree. If you had a shop look at it and they just put a torque wrench on the lugs and said, "you're good" without noticing that those lugs aren't actually holding much....

7. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    That's because it's milled aluminum from the rim.. I bet you gonna find out your rim.is now junk.. just like @AModelCat said

8. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Left hand side studs and nuts should be left handed threads to work properly. I’ve seen rarities were they were changed to rh sometime in their past or someone put a rh hub on left hand side.
    Lug seats are must likely enlarged from ape trigger on air gun and no torque wrench. 500 ftlbs max. Scrap wheel if holes are crushed.
    Euclid does make a shouldered Alcoa style nut for aluminum Budd style wheels to help with the seat issue.

9. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Ape finger is a good description for it. I had new drives put on at the local Deere dealer and the idiot kid there had them so #### tight my 3/4 inch electric Milwaukee impact wouldn't touch them trying to do a brake job.

10. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Coke is a joke anymore. Used to be able to clean battery cable ends or love bugs off with it.

11. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I was OK with the aluminum Budds but not in the rust belt. More concerned about the studs after running with loose lugs. I would do all new studs and nuts with whatever wheel he chooses.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.