Never Stand Still

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Mike2633, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    I know it's nice. Have Droms gone out of style out west?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    maple_leaf_ih_truck_trailer.jpg
    This is actually from my neck of the woods (kind of) Maple Leaf Foods in Toronto, Ontario, Canada up the road a little from me about 5 hours away.

I had actually came up with a design like this as a delivery vehicle. But I forgot that Drom's were still a thing although I guess they have fallen way out of style:
    DSC_2375.jpg

Ruthless, Mike_77 and HalpinUout Thank this.
  4. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    I was designing a fleet of trucks for a fictional chain restaurant and one of the things I wanted to bring back was truck and trailer and B trains for delivery to high volume chain restaurants.
    image.jpg
    I don't think or can't think of a reason why that set up would be illegal. Common? no, but illegal why it has less pivot points then a standard set of doubles. Like B trains the steel haulers use them and nobody else, but there legal.

Regular doubles are not really good for route delivery, but truck and trailer or B train is a different story. I was just thinking out side of the box I guess.

Mike_77 and HalpinUout Thank this.
  5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    The top picture there, I see a lot of in Michigan gravel haulers.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  6. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    A lot of the steel haulers here in Ohio run "B" trains to there pretty cool, there more stable then regular "A" trains. However I guess "A" trains are a little easier for regular freight service. "B" trains are more vocational built will say.

7. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Well kids looks like the guberment is shutting down. Ahh I don't care either.

Mike_77 Thanks this.
  8. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Was that you broke down yesterday on US 30 pulling a single pup? I yelled out on the radio to see as I was coming up but got no response... Was between Mansfield and Upper Sandusky...

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  9. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    No that wasn't me that was a unit from the Mansfield yard. Although I did have a single pup trailer which is common for everyday ha-ha.

HalpinUout Thanks this.
  10. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Your more towards Cleveland right?

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  11. Mike_77

Mike_77 Medium Load Member

Sep 23, 2017
    IMG_9112.jpg IMG_9113.jpg IMG_9114.jpg
    For the last 11 years my job has kept me inside the state of Oregon, so I can't report on what's currently being used in the broader western part of the country. As far as I know bakeries were some of the last to use droms. Here is what information I can offer on this subject:

Franz bread which is our largest bread producer use to have at least one drom tractor, but I haven't seen it in years. Currently Franz is using doubles, triples and 53's with non drom tractors.

The now defunct Hostess baking company had quite a few drom tractors out here.

I recall seeing Oroweat (another PNW bakery) selling their drom Peterbilt COE's on truck paper minus the drom box. I cant recall seeing one on the road in a while.

Depending on your definition of "drom" I know TSMT runs some tractors that I guess could be considered drom setups for their military work. When I was pulling flatbed around the country years ago I saw them a lot down in the South West where there is a lot of military bases etc..

I can't recall personally seeing a drom used in a for-hire trucking operation, other than the rare moving truck. Droms in general freight operations were way before my time.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Ruthless and Mike2633 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.